Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Design fault in External mount bracket

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
lw1668
Aspirant
Aspirant

Firmware 1.12.2.4_2773, Arlo HW version VMB3500r4.

I believe the spherical magnetic mount is not appropriate for external use. Reason being this mount is attached directly to the surface, in my case a vertical wall. In a rainy day, water will flow down on the vertical surface and follow the path directly onto the mount where the camera is attached. As oppose to the other type where the bracket/mount has an arm extended away from the surface hence disrupt the flow path. It already happened twice the camera mounted with the spherical mount, the battery compartment of the camera got wet during rainy days. In one instance the circuit of the camera is shorted and rendered the camera disfunction. Good thing it was still under warranty. This has not happen to the other camera mount with the extended arm bracket in the same environment.

Have asked for a free exchange of the spherical mount for an extended arm bracket but was denied. Instead Alro rather replacement a camera when gone bad. Would like to know what is the logic ?

7 REPLIES 7
lw1668
Aspirant
Aspirant

This is to make correction of the above post.

It is exterior NOT external use.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

If you have water in the battery compartment, the door isn't properly closed or the seal is defective. The mount doesn't matter - it's all about the door and seal.

lw1668
Aspirant
Aspirant

Ok. Then the seal is of cheap  material . First time  it happened, the camera is only a couple of months old . The replacement camera , assuming is new , leaked a week after mounting on the same mounting bracket. Either way, there is design/ material fault. We’ll see when another replacement of the camera is needed. Denial of reality is not necessary is a good thing.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@lw1668 wrote:

Either way, there is design/ material fault

FWIW, I've had some cameras using the spherical mount outdoors for a couple years, and not run any issues.  Though there isn't a lot of water flowing down the surface (in one case it's on a tree, in another it's on a fencepost).

You can get metal wall mounts quite inexpensively (I see some for $8.99 at the moment on US Amazon).

lw1668
Aspirant
Aspirant

As you rightfully point out, is how much water flow on the surface is the key. If that is the case, the mount/bracket with an extended arm shall keep the flow path away from the camera as oppose to the spherical one. Hence minimize the chance of water getting into the battery compartment in conjunction with the seal. Not sure why Arlo policy does not allow exchange the spherical mount with an extended arm type and rather risk damaging the camera which is still under warranty in my case. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@lw1668 wrote:

how much water flow on the surface is the key. 

If water is actually flowing in volume down the wall, then the extended arm might not help either - unless the arm is positioned so that the camera isn't the lowest point.  Water can also flow down the arm.

Have you considered a standoff (for instance, putting a piece of painted wood between the wall and the mount).

lw1668
Aspirant
Aspirant

Maybe I was not clear previously, I have 2 cameras. 1 mounted on an extended arm bracket/mount and the other is on spherical mount. Both on the side walls of the house. Both type of mounts comes with the cameras when I bought it. Again, sound ridiculous why an exchange of the spherical mount cannot be entertained. Rather Arlo risk damaging the camera instead and give out a replacement instead. It's a question of Arlo policy. There is so many ways to skin a cat.