Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Constant Motion Trigger

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Mmangan
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have swapped cameras, issue stays with same location, camera wont stop going off, till it drains batteries, no notable motion on screen, zoomed in to where you couldnt even see anything and no trees or leaves in background, camera continues to go off. Swapped front porch and side yard thinking it's a bad camera but it didnt change a thing. Sometimes I log in to 2000+ side yard recordings in a day and draining batteries in a couple days. This all started about a month ago. Prior to that I've had over a year without camera issues. Just base station issues. Now that I'm having camera issues too, makes me wanna switch to another product. At this time I cant recommend arlo to anyone.
8 REPLIES 8
Rinkman
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am having the same problem with my Arlo. It continues to keep going off on motion detection. I have it down to 1% sensitivity, and narrowed down to a part of my sidewalk that has no shadow movements, or any motion at all. But it continues to record and go off every couple minutes. I am really disappointed that you can not reduce the sensitivity down to eliminate cloud and leaves shadows. I am tired of replacing the batteries every 4 days. Anybody knows how this can be fixed please let me know. Thanks

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You are changing the sensitivity in your modes and rules, right? The Motion Detection Test is just a way to get a number to put into your modes/rules.

Mmangan
Aspirant
Aspirant
Yes I even created custom rules incase there was an issue with default programming.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

While it's possible that a system reset may help, first post screenshots of the cameras' views with descriptions. It may be a positioning issue we can help with.

Mmangan
Aspirant
Aspirant
Heres a pic of the side yard. Camera mounted on side of house. And I have watched videos with literally nothing moving on screen. But yet I can walk upto the camera and it may or may not catch me because the sensitivity is so low. If it does get me it's only because something else is triggering it.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

First rotate the camera down. You are taking in the whole view including airplanes. Just get the side yard itself. You may need to reposition the camera under the eave to make it most useful, depending on what you need to monitor.

This would also help the triggering since much of the motion is either too far away (people can only be detected to maybe 25 feet at best) or not across the FOV which is what's needed for any device that uses passive IR (PIR) sensors.

I think mounting the camera under the eave, pointed a good bit down and at nearly a 90 degree rotation from how it's currently mounted would be most effective. Exactly where along the eave you need to position it depends on what you need to monitor.

Mmangan
Aspirant
Aspirant
Until last month I hadnt had any issues at all. It worked great for over a year. So not sure why I'm all the sudden having issues.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Firmware updates can change how the cameras operate - that's probably what happened here.