Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
markvorlando
Follower
Follower

Whenever I run the web portal and click the play icon on one of the cameras it gives me a :connection failed error. Works fine in the Phone app. I have tried both Chrome and IE11. Any ideas?

120 REPLIES 120
markkim1
Tutor
Tutor

This is just sad that NETGEAR has not taken any of these issues seriously in the last two years of posts.  Responses from moderator that asks a one line question, gets answered in the next two hours and then weeks/months go by before another response from NETGEAR is NOT SUPPORT!!!!  You are leaving your customer base on their own, frustrated, to try to fix this issue on their own.  THIS IS A VERY EXPENSIVE PRODUCT!!!!  Not worth it to me if I cannot see the live stream.

Weak support.  Not appreciated Netgear.

rabbid
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am also having this problem on MacOS High Sierra Safari, Chrome, Firefox, and also Windows 10 Edge, Chrome, and Firefox. It's quite ridiculous really. What is the solution?? This is the only negative point I give to this product. Such a shame.

RobotPsykolog
Tutor
Tutor

I putted up a support case on this to Netgear. After they had answered the ordinary things already told in here, now they only sends me greeting of that they are happy of my patience and my continued understanding.

I should see this as, "We dont give a **bleep** about your problem, we know it exists but do not care about it. Its and old product and we have better things to do then trying to solve this..."

Im very close to return those to the seller and never buy anything from netgear again.

RobotPsykolog
Tutor
Tutor

Now I have had a support case for many weeks, the technicians finally came back and told me what they thought was wrong. Tadaaaa! Outdated flash! But just a little!

So, I feel Netgear is not interested in solve this issue.

I will return my cameras. To only look at the phone, is not good enough for me. And also that Netgear do not give any help in here in this thread, shows that they are not interested.

ukoda
Tutor
Tutor

So now it is out of date Flash?  That figures, they want to use a depricated technology then demand an unavailable version is used.  My system automatically updates to the latest available stable version of Flash.  It is one of the advantages of running Linux that both the applicatons and OS are updated automatically, I don't have go looking for where to download the latest version.

With this in mind it remains clear that Netgear simply do not care about this issue and it is likely there will never be a fix.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Well, Chrome and Edge on Windows has Flash built-in so keeping software up to date, which normally happens automatically, works fine. Firefox is a different issue but using something like this:

https://www.flexera.com/enterprise/products/software-vulnerability-management/personal-software-insp...

helps keep you up to date. Doesn't matter if its Windows, MacOS or Linux - there is either built-in automatic software updates or easy ways to do it yourself. And there's still too many folks who turn automatic updates off for whatever reason.

As for NG fixing the issue, it'll be forced down the road. Its unfortunate that Adobe choose to drag out Flash's retirement but its gonna happen.

ukoda
Tutor
Tutor

You will note I was careful not to comment on what the update status of other OSes was as it was not relevant to the point in hand.  My point was simply that my version of Flash is the latest available and therefore it was reasonable to expect it to work on any Flash reliant website and therefore this was not some valid new excuse why it is the user's fault and not Net Gear's.  It has been a recurring theme on this thread that the users are some how at fault when to my mind, and that of many other posters, it is Net Gear who are at fault and Net Gear who need to fix things.

Quite frankly it annoys me no end.  I have development many hardware products and created the software for them and I can see that the Arlo hardware is an impresive peice of engineering.  The cameras and their designers have my respect.  The software in the cameras would appear to be well engineered too.  The base is a bit more questionable, with the PSU on mine failing.  Yet what should be a first class system is let down by a badly engineed web solution.  Yea, so that is what annoys me, so much potentail wasted.

leloup
Aspirant
Aspirant

I found the bug. You have to reset video setting to default angle vision (for arlo baby cam it  110°).

There is probably a link between the flash resolution and the video encoding and resolution.

Rgds

ukoda
Tutor
Tutor

I don't see that setting to reset for my Arlo Pro cameras, so you fix appears to be for baby cameras only.

leloup
Aspirant
Aspirant

May be you should try some changes in
Settings > My Devic > Video Settings (best battery life, best video, optimmized..)

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

To be clear, that just reduces resolution, not angle of view. Use the Pan & Zoom feature to reduce the angle which affects the view but not the detection zone.

ukoda
Tutor
Tutor

Ok, I had no luck, has anyone esle had any luck getting around the Connection Fail Error resolved by following leloup's suggestion?  If so what model camera where they changing the setting on and what setting did they change to what value?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Are you sing the app or a computer browser? Have you tried both? If using the app, is there a difference between WiFi and cell service?

ukoda
Tutor
Tutor

This thread is only about the web browser issue.  For me the Android app has always worked on all devices with the only issue being it is slow to initally show an image after an alert.  However I have not reported that issue and would not wish to hijack this thread for that.

I still mantain that this is a Net Gear web server and wish they would acknoldge it and fix it.

I read in the news yesterday that Google will remove Adobe Flash from Chrome browsers by 2019 so I wonder what Net Gear's plans are to replace the Flash part of their website, which appear to be the defective part?

DanicaDear
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have this issue too, in Chrome and Internet Explorer.  Works fine on app.  So disappointing.  It's also so frustrating that Netgear does not address the issue when it has been occuring on this thread for 2 years.  That's a great way to ensure your customers DON'T buy your products when it's time to replace.  

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I have no issues with any display on Chrome or any other browser I've tried. Since it's not a large problem (if it were, there would be a whole lot more complaints), it seems likely to be a local issue. That doesn't help you any but it isn't something that likely can be fixed via the Internet. Opening a case with support here may be of use as well as looking into your computer/browser setups more thoroughly.

ukoda
Tutor
Tutor

jguerdat, consider yourself lucky if your set up works but mine and many other users do not.  All the other websites work, it only the Arlo website that does.  Simple logic dicates to is NetGear that is at fault and your condesending finger pointing is not helpful.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Not condescending whatsoever - just a statement of fact. Another statement of fact is that it's a rather hit-or-miss issue so it's not like everyone is having the problem. This also tends to point to the problem being on your end although anything is possible so maybe it's a bug someplace that affects few users out of the whole installed base. I can't prove anything nor can you.

BarryN
Tutor
Tutor

I am STILL experiencing this issue on a camera I purchased in 2019! This is ridiculous! I have tried Firefox, Chrome, and Safari.

ukoda
Tutor
Tutor

Yes Barry, over a year and 120 posts in this thread later and nobody from the Arlo team has even acknoldge that they have a problem.

Arlo253
Tutor
Tutor

Where do you check?