Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
markvorlando
Follower
Follower

Whenever I run the web portal and click the play icon on one of the cameras it gives me a :connection failed error. Works fine in the Phone app. I have tried both Chrome and IE11. Any ideas?

120 REPLIES 120
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Since it's not a widely-reported issue (you're the only one at the moemnt), it's likely on your end.  It could be a Flash or browser issue.  Idon't have any Linux machines anymore but I'd try Chrome and/or any other browser to see if the problem continues.  You don't mention it so perhaps a computer reboot could be in order.

brian82
Tutor
Tutor

I have this issue too.  I'm responding because you said "It must not be widespread".   I have been googling for a solution for a few days now.  I see that people have had this problem going back A WHOLE YEAR!  You shouldn't assume that your users will tell you when your product doesn't work.  Most users will just accept that it doesn't work, and live with it, or go buy a different product.  But, some of us like to pretend that it will get fixed soon...  Your response is discouraging though, indicating that you have no idea why it does not work, and blame the few of us that chime in to ask what's going on...

*** EDIT ***
I see now that you are a superuser, and probably not a netgear employee.  That is even more discouraging... 😞   Why isn't netgear responding?

brian82
Tutor
Tutor

oh, and at the moment, i am leaning strongly toward "go buy a different product".  Best Buy takes returns no problem.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

brian82,

Are you experiencing this issue only when using the web client? Does this also occur when using the mobile app?

What web browser are you using (Chrome, Firefox etc.)? What mobile app are you using (iOS, Android)?

JamesC

brian82
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks for the reply.  I have tried all 3 browsers (IE, Chrome, Mozilla), on my work PC.  The app on my iPhone works just fine.  On the work PC i can view videos in the Library, i just can't watch Live Video.

Someone suggested it could be the work firewall. 
I will check if I can see Live view at home...

thanks

-----

EDIT: Yes, Live view does work on my macbook, using Safari, from home.  So maybe it is a work firewall issue.  I wonder if you can change how the Live view is accessed, so the firewall doesn't block it?  Library movies get through somehow.  A lot of other web content gets through, including VNC sessions...

Anyway, it is a cool system, and i will not be returning it to Best Buy.  🙂

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Live view requires Flash so maybe the work computer is locked down with no Flash?

nikki_462
Initiate
Initiate

Hey ya all!  I spent quite a bit of time with support tonight and was experiencing the same issue... everytime I tried doing the live view on my iMac, I received a connection failed error.  It was odd given the fact that it worked on my Macbook and mobile phone.

Then I noticed that my VPN was turned on... I turned it off and it worked again!  I hope this helps for anyone else experiencing this issue 🙂 

mandreko
Tutor
Tutor

I just bought the Arlo Pro Wire-Free Camera 4-pack and base station combo last night. i got it all setup and it was working great. I could see the video in web browsers on multiple machines on my network, as well as on my iPhone. Now tonight, I can only see them on my phone, just as everyone else here is stating.

I have tried in Microsoft Edge, Chrome, and Firefox on my Windows PC, and in Chrome and Safari on 2 separate MacBooks. Yet on the *same* wifi that the PC and MacBooks are on, I can view it with no problems on the iPhone. I don't have any VPN connections or anything crazy going on. It's rather frustrating.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Might have just been a web site issue.  Is it still happening?

mandreko
Tutor
Tutor

Indeed it's still happening.

I'm probably just going to start picking the traffic apart with Wireshark to see what is failing. There's no reason my phone should be able to get it, but my computers can't. I wish the errors were a little more verbose than just "Connection failed", as it would be helpful for diagnosing things.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
I guess it could be worthwhile rebooting the router first, just in case.
mandreko
Tutor
Tutor

I've rebooted the router, and just about everything involved. That advice really isn't useful, and feels somewhat dismissive, since my phone and iPad are going through the same router, which indicates that it's not the router.

If it's helpful, I'm an IT professional, not just a clueless grandma. I've already tried all the normal things I can think of. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Not trying to be dismissive or anything other than helpful if possible. It was a last gasp suggestion before telling you to USD the Contact Support link at the bottom of the desktop version of this page or use https://www.arlo.com/en-us/support/contact.aspx
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Use, not USD.
bchapman255
Guide
Guide

Confirming that I'm getting the same issue as well. 

I'm a Network Administrator of 14 years. 

We've eliminated the firewall from the equation (allow all traffic outbound from the camera's IP address). 

Firmware is up to date (pretty easy to do so from the cloud portal). 

Everything else works...just not the "live" option. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Live view requires Flash or the app. What browser have you been using? Have you tried the app on both cell service and WiFi?
mandreko
Tutor
Tutor

IT guy here too (offensive security consultant)

For me, it's been sporadic. Sometimes when it fails, if I just click again, it works. Other times, it fails successively.

I've tried various browsers on multiple systems. I have 2 MacBooks with the newest version of Chrome (flash bundled), Firefox with flash installed. I also have a Windows 10 PC with both browsers again, as well as a Microsoft Surface running Windows 10 with both browsers. I also use an iPhone 6s Plus with the newest iOS version. All of them fail sporadically. 

I'm not sure what has changed, because it used to do it more frequently, but now it's only once in a while. I don't have any good explanation, as my internet is not dropping. 

WBeatty
Aspirant
Aspirant

Add me to this list.  Mine started reporting the same webpage error from my desktop once I changed a video setting on the camera from the Arlo website using Chrome.  Now it never comes back.  Still works from my Samsung Galaxy S7.  It's amazing SO MANY people are reporting this.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
It's been 2 months since anyone updated this thread. Have you tried a different browser and maybe computer? What about the app?
WBeatty
Aspirant
Aspirant

Probably everyone got tired of it not being fixed.  I had a buddy who has the same cameras try it and it doesn't work for him either now.  He tried it on his Macbook so it has nothing to do with my machine.  

I am trying it on Chrome from my Windows desktop.  I also tried IE 11 with the same result.  

For what it's worth, it worked yesterday.  I now don't believe it had anything to do with changing the video setting on the camera.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

WBeatty,

If you don't see the issue on your mobile device, that points to an issue with the browser/PC. Are you running any virus protection or anti-malware software (Bitdefender, etc), some users have reported issues when using security software.

JamesC

Narlo
Tutor
Tutor

I am facing the exact same problems. On Chrome and tried all basic troubleshooting mentioned in this thread. No AV/FW getting in the way either. 

What's going on ? Thank heavens am not on a holiday ! 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Narlo,

Do you see the same behavior if you try access from a different browser or a mobile device?

JamesC

Narlo
Tutor
Tutor

Yes, for browser. And no, its not a flash issue as I am able to see the live feed today. 

I was able to see the live cameras on my mobile though. 

On the other hand, sometimes viewing live on my mobile app will faill with a message like ::camera not available. But will work with the website. 

I fear one day, when I am on vacation, both the mobile and the website versions will just fail to show me live data. 

Narlo
Tutor
Tutor

I just tried it again a minute ago.  And it failed miserably. I am on a very high speed internet connection at home and from where am accessing the live data. 

11:30

Chrome :
cam 1 : The request timed out
cam 2 : :connection failed

Firefox :
cam 1 : :connection failed
Says Flash plugin has crashed. Page reloaded.

App :
tried again
cam1 : Your device failed to connect to media server, please try again.
cam2 : Shows live data.