Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
basgroot
Follower
Follower

I need to move the base station to an entrance hall where there is absolutely no way to use a cable to connect it to the internet. There is a wifi connection nearby though. The support web site says the led with the "home wi fi" symbol is reserved for future use. What future are we talking about? Will there be a firmware upgrade in the near future that will make it relay through wi fi directly? Is there any time frame for this?

4 REPLIES 4
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The easy way to do this is to use a WiFi extender with an Ethernet port. That way the base can still plug in using the cable and it will use the extender's WiFi to complete the connection. Several folks here have done this successfully.

Cassidy
Luminary
Luminary

This is what I personaly use and it works fine...I buy mine at Bestbuy..You plug this in a electrical outlet and you plug the base in the Gigabit Ethernet Port...

This is the description of this Wi-fi range extender...

10390272.jpg

Netgear are selling this kind of thing...I'll be curious to know wich one they suggest...but for now check the info of this one :

• This Wi-Fi range extender is designed to strengthen and improve the range of your WiFi coverage in your home or office, up to 10,000 sq. ft.
  • Establishes a wireless connection with your router to help your WiFi expand to areas it can't reach on its own, while also reducing signal interference for a more reliable connection
  • Strengthened connection allows you to enjoy smoother performance when it comes to bandwidth-hungry tasks like large file downloads, lag-free gaming, and HD/4K streaming
  • Expanded 450Mbps on 2.4GHz + 1300Mbps on 5GHz totals 1750Mbps Wi-Fi speeds
  • Equipped with 3 adjustable external antennas to give you top-notch Wi-Fi coverage
  • Gigabit Ethernet port acts as a wireless adapter so you can connect a wired device to your network at gigabit speed
  • Features a signal light designed to help find the optimal location for the best possible WiFi coverage and displays signal strength
  • Compatible with any Wi-Fi router or wireless access point

You can check on pcmag dot .com to see differences on wi-fi range extender...Also check the transfert rate...

Hope it helps you

Cassidy

Pogi2
Aspirant
Aspirant

Eugr
Guide
Guide

If you use an extender just to connect your wired device and don't care about extending your WiFi, then you can disable extender functionality and use it as a bridge  This way you don't saturate your environment with yet another wireless network as it may negatively affect your speed. I don't know about that TP-Link one, but my Netgear EX7000 allows to do it and has five Ethernet ports (or four - don't remember).