Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Connect Arlo to AT &T hotspot

Discussion stats
  • 16 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation
Aspirant
Aspirant

Is there a way to connect Arlo to an AT&T Unite hotspot.  I dont have a traditional broadband connection where I live - have to rely on AT&T or Verizon cellualr high speed platform.  Thanks.

16 REPLIES 16
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

The base must be connected to an ethernet port on your switch/router...

It can be done via celluar, but the cost of data and equipment might be prohibited.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

What's your physical hardware setup?  I know some routers have the ability to work with cellular hotspots which might be required for your application.  As mentioned, the data uage could become prohibitive unless you have an unlimited plan.  The biggest video I've seen is about 10MB (2 minutes at highest resolution) but I'm sure it can vary. 

Define what hardware you need and then assume significant data usage...

Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply.  I have the AT&T Unite mobile hotspot - which has the ability to connect to 10 devices.  I will buy any wireless router than is able to wirelessly connect to the AT&T Unite mobile hotspot.  Then I will connext the Arlo to that router.  Please advise what router to buy.  I'm not concerned about data usuage.  The camera are motion detected only. Thanks.

Aspirant
Aspirant

Can you suggest what equipment to buy?  Thanks

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You'd need to investigate more but I know the Asus RT-N66 series has the capability of having a cellular modem connected to the instead of cable or DSL modems. I don't know the details but you can start here:

http://www.asus.com/us/Networking/RTN66U/

Exactly what you have to have and do is something you'd have to figure out. It may be easier than I imagine depending on your hotspot.

ydaer
Tutor
Tutor

Since Netgear manufacturers Mobile Hotspot, they might be able to suggest something.  I think the Wireless Extender like Netgear's

AC1900 Nighthawk WiFi Range Extender  or AC1200 WiFi Range Extender

They both do

WiFi Band >> Dual Band 2.4 & 5GHz
      Number of Ethernet Ports >> Five (5) 10/100/1000 Ethernet ports with auto-sensing technology)

ydaer
Tutor
Tutor

Just looked at Netgear's website...they have a DC113A http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/datasheet/en/DC113A.pdf

It's a hotspot charging cradle and has a ethernet port. 

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QIH1CWO

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I just looked at the AT&T site for the hotspot manual. Guess what? It appears to be a Netgear device. It appears there's a possibility of connecting the hotspot to the Asus router via USB but it's not a supported device:

http://www.asus.com/event/networks_3G4G_support/

Doesn't mean it wouldn't work, you'd just be on your own. I'd suggest that if you want to pursue this route that you get one of the supported AT&T modems or do the same sort of thing with whatever router you decide on. The Asus screen shows "Switch to USB mode to use a 3G/4G USB wireless dongle or Android phone as a USB modem." In there is a configuration screen to set things up. I'd have to try my phone on this. Not gonna happen right now. 🙂

Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you very much !!

Jllanders
Aspirant
Aspirant

I just got ATT Unite Pro, NetgearAc750 WiFi Range Extender, Model EX3700.  I connected base station.

Used Extender in Extender Mode. While my Ipad, Phone, Computer, would connect to the extender just fine, my base station would hang up when in setup and never find the network. Eventually I just synched a camera to my base station anyway.

I then used the WPS button on the NetGear and the WPS setting on the Unite, and voila, eventually I saw my basestation listed as device. It had a funny name, but it was the only one connected other than the extender. I left it on for 24 hours, no problems. I then turned off the Unite, then turned it back on and my extender and Base Station automatically reconnected.

eemrick
Aspirant
Aspirant

how do i link to internet using a i phone we have a remote fishing cabin trying to be abel to chech on it from home we have set up a line with internet service to leave at the caben with the arlo base so it will allways have internet conection  but every thing i have tryed tels me to use arouter but i do not finde a router that will conect with the i phone hot spot what can i do i have tryed conecting with a laptop so to use usb port to usb port but no luck 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

eemrick,

The Arlo Base station requires connection to a router (via ethernet cable) to get an internet connection. Some users have had success connecting to an extender (see the users post directly above yours for example).

JamesC

Mark_Davies
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi James C.

I have just purchased an Arlo 4000 in Australia and due to distance and no cable to the house, I also have to use a Samsung Tablet as my mobile hotspot. What Netgear wireless router can I buy that will let me plug the Arlo into the ethernet port and will then communicate with the hotspot for my security app. I also have a Huwai hotspot that could be used if this would be easier. Many thanks for your help. Mark

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Probably the easiest thing to do would be to use a WiFi extender with an Ethernet port.  Virtually any should work. That way you get the needed port and WiFi connection to your hotspot.

Mark_Davies
Aspirant
Aspirant

Many thanks. I will try to get one today.

Mark_Davies
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi guys, Sorry for the delay response but I purchased a netgear wifi extender and all is working. Many thanks for the info. Looking into the community feedbacks there is a wealth of information here. Cheers,

Mark