Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

6 cameras

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Jas1549
Tutor
Tutor

I have been using 5 wireless cameras for a while now.  Just recently I obtained a sixth one from a family member that had no use for it.  I have only 1 base station but understand that it can handle more than five.  I also have a second email address. Must I really spend $9.95 a month to get use of the sixth camera?  Any work around would be much appreciated.

James

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
steve_t
Master Master
Master

Your options are to upgrade your subscription for a cost or to get a second base station and put it on another account and grant access between accounts. In the second scenario, the cameras will all be visible when you login but you won't be able to trigger cameras on one system with cameras from the other

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
steve_t
Master Master
Master

Your options are to upgrade your subscription for a cost or to get a second base station and put it on another account and grant access between accounts. In the second scenario, the cameras will all be visible when you login but you won't be able to trigger cameras on one system with cameras from the other

Jas1549
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks for the reply. I see that base stations are not the expensive to purchase second hand unused. I probably will go that route and pick up another camera or 2.  Currently I just record what motion happens on that particular camera.

Can you elaborate why you would want to record on a different camera than the camera that detected the motion?  Is it correct that you can only record on one camera when motion is detected?

Thank you.

manfredz
Hero
Hero

example, one cam is placed to record your front door.  A second camera is placed to capture a person walking across cam when someone comes up walk.

When walk cam detects motion, first cam is set to record next 120 sec.  No more someone came to door but left before cam recorded

steve_t
Master Master
Master

Yup. As manfredz said, I have 2 cameras out the front of my house, one above the front door and one on the fence at 90 degrees to the front door one. Both cameras record on motion but both also trigger the other camera to record as well. This way I don't have to worry about the front door camera activating late as PIR motion sensors don't detect people walking directly towards the camera very well. Motion across the view is much quicker to be detected. I have the 'second' camera recording for slightly longer so when I look at the recordings in my library, I can tell which camera was the one that detected motion first.

My custom recording mode has rules
Front door records 30s on motion
Driveway records 30s on motion
Front door motion causes driveway to record for 45s
Driveway motion causes front door to record for 45s

I also have 4 other cameras but they just record themselves when they detect motion

manfredz
Hero
Hero

I set all four of mine to record 120sec.  Have rechargeable batteries and all and all cams are readily reacheable so dont mind charging batteries every two weeks (I average 40 x120sec recordings plus a few live views per day/night so most should get much better battery life because most users wont record anywhere near as much as I do.