Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Color is gone black and white only

Discussion stats
scooter
Tutor
Tutor
My Arlo cam displays in black and white only. No more color in the preview, live feed, or recorded videos. Does anyone have any ideas on how to correct this?

Thanks,

Scooter
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Schorschi
Prodigy
Prodigy

That sounds like night vision mode. It automatically turns on when there isn't enough ambient light. Turn on a light and see if it switches to "day" mode and shows the footage in color.

View solution in original post

39 REPLIES 39
Schorschi
Prodigy
Prodigy

That sounds like night vision mode. It automatically turns on when there isn't enough ambient light. Turn on a light and see if it switches to "day" mode and shows the footage in color.

R_Lowe
Luminary
Luminary

My (final fourth) cam did that tonight too.  That's a perfectly satisfactory answer - due to it being dark outside, etc.  Thanks Schorschi (sp?/too lazy to go look at the spelling...) for the help.  Great forum!

scooter
Tutor
Tutor
Yeah, it was night mode. Which is weird because when I placed the camera it was in color and remained color for a couple days. And then it went black and white (night mode) even though the lighting conditions haven't changed. So it's in night mode 24/7 unless I turn on a nearby light.

Thanks for the reply.
GG
Initiate
Initiate

I have an iPhone 6 that now shows 3 out of 4 of the cameras in black and white.  My husband has a Samsung Galaxy and all of the cameras are in color on his phone.  Does anyone have an explanation as to why the phones would be different?  I wouldn't think night mode would be black and white on one phone and color on the other.

DaneA
Master
Master

Hi GG,

The latest iOS version of the Arlo app is 1.8.2.  You might need to uninstall the current Arlo app in your iPhone6 and install the latest version.  You can get the latest iOS version of the Arlo app here.

Hope it helps.  I look forward to your response.

Regards,

DaneA

Arlo Team

Jaycsm35
Initiate
Initiate

I found out how to fix the camera when it turns black and white only. take a flash light or your cell phone flashlight and point directly to the lens and it will automatically changes to color view. 

az57chevy
Tutor
Tutor

That explains why I only get black and white for an interior shot.!

xcon
Tutor
Tutor
Mine just did this switch to nigh mode and stays there. I fixed it by taking camera down and removed batteries and put them back in and it fixed it.
sfi120
Initiate
Initiate

Hi Guys, 

Mine is doing the same exact thing, the camera seems to default to record in night vision only.  Flashing a bright light directly at the camera does desable night vision but once the camera switches back to night vision it does not switch back to day vision.

The camera is operating in a room that has lights on during the day, the lighting is pretty bright so i'm not sure why this is happening.  If I have to flash a shinny light at the camera everytime to enable day mode that would really suck.

Any guidance will be most appreaciated.

Thanks, 

Stan

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

sfi120,

Consider power cycling the camera by opening and closing the battery compartment door. Then relocate the camera and see if you get the same results. If you do, I encourage you to contact the Arlo Support Team to further assess the camera for potential defect and RMA.

JamesC

REB1593
Tutor
Tutor
The solution seems to assume I am at the site of the cameras and can shine a light on the lens. I bought the system because I am away for months and wish to monitor remotely. Is there a way to "reboot" a camera remotely?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Nope, just the base station.  That _may_ help - or not.

Bwest5
Initiate
Initiate
The same thing is happening to me...first couple of days in color...now only black and white. Discouraging.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Black and white implies low light levels. Are the cameras in relatively bright light (daylight) or are they shaded or in a darkish room?

REB1593
Tutor
Tutor

During the daylight hours, the room is naturally bright. And then of course the room gets dark at night. Seems when I manually (and remotely) look at a camera view at night, it then remains black and white the next morning instead of reverting to color.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I guess it could be a threshold thang. If you activate the camera and use strong lighting or shine a flashlight towards the camera does it switch to color?

Mikeg333
Initiate
Initiate

Yes.  That is pretty hard to do when you are in a nother state.  I got the camera for when I am away, not in my house.

Daveyb69
Aspirant
Aspirant
Anyone know why mine has two red screens and one normal? Same light conditions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Daveyb69,

Please contact the Arlo Support Team to resolve this issue. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link. If you have any additional questions/concerns feel free to private message me. I would be happy to help.

JamesC

MBSD
Initiate
Initiate

I agree. I have 5 cameras and dont want to have to climb a ladder to correct this. It is nice and bright in there right now so no reason to have one our of 5 in black and white. As the picture isnt great that way either.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

MBSD,

Consider toggling night vision mode off within the camera settings and saving. Test to see if the image goes back to color by live streaming the camera.

If it does, try enabling night vision mode again and see if the image stays in color (providing the area is well lit enough).

JamesC

NickG818
Initiate
Initiate
Shining the light works but it continues to turn on night vision when viewing the camera and turns off when not viewing it. This is ridiculous to top it off net gear wants me to pay for the shipping to get a replacement this problem started occurring after the latest firmware update
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

NickG818,

I have reached out to you in a private message for more information regarding this issue.

JamesC

cdry82
Initiate
Initiate

Hey guys I am having a similar issue. I have an Arlo Q looking out a window in the front of my house.    Its looks out to our front porch and the street.   Every night, even when night vision mode is turned off the camera will show a black and white image.  It's like the camera thinks it needs to be in night mode but the ir bulbs aren't on. When in camera is turned off and back on, the image goes back to color. Very frustrating. Anyone know how to fix this?