Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 15 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
b_k
Luminary
Luminary

I am wondering if there is anything I can do for a cloudy picture.  I have cleaned the camera with a microfiber cloth or Q-tip.  Usually the cloudiness was due to an animal brushing up against it, but not this time.  Not sure if there is anything I can do.  Thank you.

15 REPLIES 15
b_k
Luminary
Luminary

I have added a video from my camera to show the cloudiness.  Thank you.

https://my.arlo.com/hmsweb/users/library/share/link/A3AED16CCD3DBAD0_202112 

I am adding a link to see the picture.  Not sure if it will work for anyone.  Thanks again.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

That link works for 24 hours. I was able to view it.

I think there are various issues but I'd like to see a daytime screenshot for verification. There could be condensation on the lens which tilting the camera down or placing it a bit differently could help. There also seems to be distance involved which the IR LEDs simply can't light up. That's where the screenshot could help.

b_k
Luminary
Luminary

I have never had a problem with the clarity no matter where and how I put the camera.  If there is any condensation on it, I would clean it and not have a problem.  This time, it seems not to be clear enough to get a good video.

https://my.arlo.com/hmsweb/users/library/share/link/9763B03C10D86105_202112

dcfox1
Master
Master

Was that a daytime recording as @jguerdat  suggested posting. It looks like it as compared to the first one. 

b_k
Luminary
Luminary

yes, that is today's daytime video.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Well, that's horrible. I would think moisture is inside the camera on the lens and/or sensor. You can bring it inside, remove the battery, leave the case open and use the same things you would for a wet cell phone.

Make sure the o-ring is in place and undamaged. WHen inserting the battery, make sure the cover closes completely. If these things don't help, use Settings, Support to contact support.

b_k
Luminary
Luminary

Thank you, however, I have left the camera open for a whole day, many days in fact.  I also have this for a video.

https://my.arlo.com/hmsweb/users/library/share/link/3B7AD9F4C9102AB2_202112

I always make sure it is closed without any gaps.  I guess 2 years is too long for a camera to last.  I would contact support, however, we don't get it any longer.  My camera is not on a warranty and I don't subscribe to their new support!  I wish I could call them for help!!

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

2 things:

1) You can temporarily subscribe so you can get support and then cancel the sub.

2) If it's out of warranty there's nothing much support can do to help.

I would try drying it out (may take a long time since the case if pretty closed up). If you simply can't make it better, a new camera is in order. Moisture getting in isn't a widespread issue and usually comes down to improper/incomplete closing of the battery cover or O-ring damage. These things happen but it sucks when it happens to you.

b_k
Luminary
Luminary

Thank you so much for you help.  I have it working better than it was.  Your advice is very helpful.  I may keep drying it out.  As for the O-ring, are your referring to the gasket around the battery cover?  I have had to clean that due to looks like rust around it.  Again, thank you.

Dannybear
Master
Master
Are you using a camera shroud, sometimes the cloudy appearance is from light sources or reflections from objects that are out of view.
b_k
Luminary
Luminary

No, I am not using a shroud.  Also, sometimes the video is only a portion of the screen.  

https://my.arlo.com/hmsweb/users/library/share/link/64934526973AB85B_202112

I have never had a problem with the video, even moving it to other locations, it has always been clear.  My big problem that Arlo has signed off on before this started was not being able to view the library videos with Chrome (no problem with Microsoft Edge).  I had sent them HAR files and that is finally resolved.  Now this started with no support since they closed the case.  I am going to try to find a cheap camera, key word, cheap to replace this one. 

Dannybear
Master
Master
Regards the video being a portion of the screen, this has often occurred when the video settings have jumped out of whack. It zooms in the picture to the upper left of the view. Reset the video from the camera settings page under video settings, use fingers to zoom out.
b_k
Luminary
Luminary

Thank you for your suggestion, however, I have never been able to view that 'screen' under video settings.  The 'pan and zoom' has never worked for me and Arlo has never been able to fix that.  I can slide the brightness scale and toggle the night vision switch, but I have never been able to load that screen.  It just does the 'bouncy balls'.  I have had this for 2 years.  I use a pc not mobile.  This is the first time I have had that partial screen video.  As I am typing this, I have the screen trying to connect to that setting.  Still cannot.  

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Does it work properly is you bring the camera closer to the base?

b_k
Luminary
Luminary

I have had the camera in the same spot and the base for 2 years with no issues with the camera itself.  I only have had lots of issues with Arlo PC program in viewing the library with Chrome this last year.  Finally, that is resolved.  I believe it is time for a new system.