Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 18 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 6 In Conversation
NetRock
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi ...

I have installed one of the Arlo Camera monitoring the drive. The camera pickup the motion in 15 feet far but not in 5 feet....!! Anotherwords, I get the notification of the moving motion on the street but not moving on the driveway. Changing the sensitivity does not help. I have also change the position of the camera to monitor only the driveway and making sure the camera is aimed in a downward direction, it did not help either. It just does not make sense to detect the motion far and report motion but not for close range. I also try moving cross or towards the camera in the driveway no motion is detected either.

Thank you for your help.  

18 REPLIES 18
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Post a screenshot of the view from the camera. That would be most effective in helping you.

Vavila
Tutor
Tutor

I also have this same issue. No one has responded to my inquiry either. If anyone knows how to fix this, please reply! The WHOLE POINT of this camera was to capture my trampoline in the backyard, which this camera is pointed directly at. It will not pick up activity on the trampoline, instead it picks up cars driving down the street way in the distance!

Thanks!

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Reading the various posts here provides a lot of clues as well as checking out the FAQs.

Bouncing on a trampoline would seem to be problematic. Maybe if the camera was close enough so the person would be a significant object in the field of view would help.

Again, posting screenshots would be helpful.
NetRock
Aspirant
Aspirant

Here is the screenshot.

If the camera push upwards to upwards, the main road could be seen so as detection works alright, but no detection once it is focued only on the driveway. It is very inconvenience. I am thinking to return all the Arlo cameras that I bought since it is not working. Replace them with Ring

stick up cam. It is a practical Camera that works!Arlo_DriveWay.jpg     

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

NetRock,

Often times motion detection issues are related to poor camera position. Take a look here for tips on how to position your camera for best performance: How do I position my Arlo Wire-Free or Arlo Pro Wire-Free camera?

JamesC

NetRock
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks James for your help.

I have already gone through that link. If, and only if, I change the position of the camera by pushing it upward, it will detect the motion on the main street, but not the closer range (in the driveway). It is very strange...  

Desperate to find a solution to this mystery or return all the cameras.

Thank you for your time. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Reposition to the side rather than straight on.
jasonbb
Tutor
Tutor

Hi guys,

I am having similar problems with the front of my house, at first I placed a camera facing the driveway and street, I had many issues with false detection and no detection, I figured it was too far away (from the camera to doorway on the left was about 6 metres) it would pick up cars and trucks but no people most of the time.

I went and bought another camera and put it on the other side of the house pointing directly at the driveway (turned the other cameras detection off and set it to record on both when detection was detected on the second camera) and it was better but still it was picking up cars and trucks driving past way too often, even then the recording generally started too late.  I then turned the camera right down cutting out the street but it seems even worse, I am still getting a lot of false detections, not picking up people till they are pretty much out of sight at the front door (starting too late) and sometimes not even picking up when I reverse out of the driveway. I have been playing with the sensitivity but I can't get a sweet spot. 

The new camera's battery went down to 25% within a day or 2 and its stayed on that for the last 2 weeks now.  I was looking at the Arlo Q so I could plug it in but it doesn't seem to be weather proof and by the looks of things the detection is the same, the new Arlo Pro coming out soon looks to have a better detection "advanced motion detection" but not sure about that and finally the Arlo Go also not available in Australia.  I also wouldn't mind higher quality, the 720p is ok for an overview but zooming in on anything particular is pretty useless.

Any ideas would be great, see camera views below.

Second camera new view

Second camera new view.PNG

Second camera old view

IMG_0328.PNG

First camera

IMG_0327.PNG

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I'd consider moving the first camera closer to the doorway.  That would allow you to focus more on the driveway and walkway to the door without getting the street involved, reducing false detection and increasing the ability to detect people. 

The second camera has some possibilities if you're clever.  Using the brick wall/fence on the left side (as seen in your image from the 1st camera) to mount the camera could open up the detection game tremendously.  Whether you'd need to disguise or hide the camera is call by you but folks have hidden them in posts, birdhouses, etc. to make them less obvious, if you truly think that could be an issue.  This way the view would actually be from the outside looking in allowing you to detect motion as the subject enters, triggering your other camera as desired, as well as on the way out. Use a more full set of nested rules if needed so each camera triggers itself as well as the other for complete coverage.

The use of a Q would be problematic from various aspects, including the lack of weatherproofing.  It has a wider FOV so, even though it supports higher resolution (1080p), your subject would generally be smaller in the first place.  This, plus the compression involved in all Arlo cameras, makes zooming in an issue for the quality of the image.  You're better off getting the camera closer to the subject in the first place than to zoom.

The Pro cameras are a nice step up over the original wireless cameras.  My tests show that street movement is much less likely to be detected even when the street can't be excluded compared to the originals (I ran them side-by-side for a while to see the differences). The motion detection is also improved although not as good as the Q cameras which use a pixel-based detection rather than IR.

I do think what you're trying to accomplish is quite possible with your existing cameras.  It'll just take some time to position the cameras optimally.  Your battery usage will increase (sounds like you've experienced this already testing things out) so consider rechargeable batteries if you can find them reasonably in Oz.

kmiller8821
Luminary
Luminary

I also had issue(s) initially detecting traffic in my driveway but I repositioned the camera and the issue has since all but gone.  I detect people walking past my home on the sidewalk and I detect cars and such pulling in and out of my driveway without issue.  I have mine positioned in the corner of my house, under the eve, looking down at the driveway so most motion must move across the field of view just to get near my house.  I'm using the new Arlo PRO system. I'm attaching a screenshot for reference.

1486149046531.jpg

jasonbb
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks for your post, I looked at moving the 1st camera but it then really stands out, I will look further into relocating the 2nd camera to the brick fence, it will need to be disguised somehow, the distance should be ok, I'll test it out.

jasonbb
Tutor
Tutor

The brick fence isn't high enough, if a car is parked in the driveway it blocks the view

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Might be too far away but what about that white fence between you and the neighbor?

NetRock
Aspirant
Aspirant

I believe everyone is missing the point here .....when Using the live shot you can see an area with the recommended range, then the camera should be able to detect any motions or movements. It does not make sense to move the camera to the closer range as it limits the detection. If the manufacturer claims it detects up to 30 Ft, detecting an object within 5-10Ft moving cross or towards camera should work. What is the point to narrow down the range/angle as it narrows down the details etc etc etc.
There is a problem as more people are reporting the same issue. The Issue here is the camera does not detect the object within 7 feet moving cross or towards camera, but it detects a moving object within 25 feet.....!!!

I never experience this issue with the other vendors like: RING.

Is there a Solution for this issue, close range not detecting no matter how the object moves, Cross or Towards the camera, but FAR detection is working fine... We always expect the opposite.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It Depends. (TM)

The positioning of the camera makes a difference.  I get close detection of a rabbit at 10 feet or people at ~20 feet with no problem.  Here's a screenshot of my front cameras (you'll need to wait for it to be approved to see it):

Image1.jpg

I don't claim that these are optimally mounted but it works fine. These are currently Pro cameras but the previous original wireless cameras worked about the same with the Pro being better at a farther range.

jasonbb
Tutor
Tutor

Tried that too, its a little low and stands out.

jasonbb
Tutor
Tutor

I have been thinking, we have been having some really hot weather, its currently 41.1 celsius with 24% humidity and I thought I read somewhere it works off heat, maybe that has something to do with it? 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

IR isn't heat but there's a relationship.  The higher temps may be affecting detection but I don't how to quantify that.