Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Changed Internet service and got new router. Contacted support but was fishy...

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
mcgeekpa
Aspirant
Aspirant

I changed internet service and switched to a new netgear router today.  I connected my old arlo base to the new router and tried to login to the Arlo app. I had changed my netgear account password to register the router so was unclear if my arlo password should be used or the new netgear one. Bottom line, I got a message on the Arlo app that my account was locked and to call 888-988-3788.  The person who answered was Shawn Green, Arlo support tech. He sent me an email to ‘verify’ my identity and open up a case. However, the fishy part was his email was arlosupport@gmail.com. (I didn’t check this until after the call). He said he could not help me because I had old equipment so I needed to pay $89 for a new warranty. What?!?  I said it was an account reset... he said it was complicated and would take 2 hours of work to resolve. I asked for his supervisor who came on the line - Ryan was the name he gave. I asked where they were located and he said Illinois. He said if I didn’t want to pay, fine. I was out of luck. Not what I would expect from Arlo or Netgear. So somehow my app or base station or cameras or new router were compromised- I just can’t figure out how.  Beware!!! 

4 REPLIES 4
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

you were NOT actually in contact with Arlo Support.

AND I doubt their number would come up in the app itself unless you went outside same.

One of the biggest complaints about arlo service is lack of an email contact and a toll free number for Arlo support.

The only known number for arlo is in US ;  

United States contact information:

1 (408) 638 3750

So, assume it was one of the many fake Arlo support pages out there...

Always do a google search of any phone numbers for support.

This number quickly comes back to a third party service.

On their page with that number is this note;

" Disclaimer : www.arlocamera-setup.com is a independent customer service help and guider for the product which mentioned on the website and it is not directly or indirectly associated with any brand. The use of third party trademarks, logos, brand names, products and services are only for references instructive purpose."

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
mcgeekpa
Aspirant
Aspirant

I realized it was fake after I got off the phone and checked the email they sent.  BUT I only called the phone number that came up when I was trying to log in to the Arlo app on my iPad and told me the account was locked and I needed to call to unlock it. The question is how the Arlo app somehow got hacked to give this message? I am going to delete and reinstall the app.  

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Prob cookies... they track all you do.

But, did you get the system working?

will help if able

Morse is faster than texting!
mcgeekpa
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have it working. It actually was working all along. I restarted the app and logged in sans error message.  After that, I deleted the Arlo app, reinstalled and changed my password. Is it possible that my base station is compromised?  Can it be hacked?