Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Cannot connect base station after re-installing router.

Discussion stats
  • 12 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Kruuuzn1
Aspirant
Aspirant

I re-installed my Linksys Velop router due to speed issues and now I cannot re-connect my VMB4000 base station.

I did a factory reset on the base station several times along with everything else I can think of for the past week but nothing works.

Please help! I've never had any issues with installing my Arlo devices in the past and I'm about at my wits end.

12 REPLIES 12
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

WHat did you do, exactly, to reset? Remove all devices from Settings, My Devices. If desired, hold the reset button until the LEDs flash amber. After the base reboots, what are the LEDs showing? If the power and Internet LEDs are green, access to the servers is complete. Make sure you're not using a VPN - turn it off for setup.

Kruuuzn1
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the response.

Yes, I removed all devices; base station and cameras.

I have physically reset the base station so all the lights flash yellow. Once the base station reboots I have a green power light (left) no internet light (center) and a yellow camera light (right). I have tried this several times.

I do not use a VPN.

Like I mentioned before, this started when I re-installed my router but I have been able to re-connect our phones, I-pad, TV, and Bose stereo. But I just can't find the issue with the base station.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The no Internet LED is the problem. This indicates no connection to your router which can be caused by not having the cable fully seated on both ends, a bad router port (try another) a bad cable or a bad port on the base.

Kruuuzn1
Aspirant
Aspirant

Ahhh, that's a good clue. Thanks.

I will inspect the physical connections, try a different port, and try a different cable.

Is it common for the ports to go bad in the base stations?

It's just odd that this issue started while re-installing the router.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The only thing I've heard about the port on the base is the occasional shell of the port (the plastic surround that the cable clips into) coming off, probably due to a hard pull.

Kruuuzn1
Aspirant
Aspirant

I tried a different network cable between the switch and base station. No luck.

I actually use a Linksys SE3005 switch after my moden. I then plug the router and base station into that.

The switch port used for the base station is lighting orange which indicates (according to the manual) a 100/10Mbs connection. The light even blinks occasionally which indicate traffic on the port. Even with these indicators I still have no center light on the base station.

Is it possible I just have a bad base station and it went down at the same time I re-installed the router?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

A bad base is certainly a possibility. If still within your warranty period, use the Contact Support link at the bottom here. Otherwise, buy a new base but make sure you have a return privilege in case it turns out that isn't the problem.

Kruuuzn1
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the continued help.

I've discovered some new info on this.

I own (2) of the original Arlo battery powered cameras and (1) Arlo Q. I had forgot the Q isn't made to sync with the base station, it connects directly to the router via wifi so I tried installing the Q.

No luck. This camera cannot be found just like the base station cannot be found.

I was about to blame the issue on the base station but apparently that's not the case.

This is SO frustrating.

Kruuuzn1
Aspirant
Aspirant

ONE MORE TIDBIT ON INFO:

When I log on to my router it shows an extra network device. I'm assuming this is the Arlo Q. Even though the camera cannot be found it's showing up on my network.

Strange.

Kruuuzn1
Aspirant
Aspirant

MORE INFO.

After using the reset button on the Arlo Q several times if finally installed.

But I'm still not having any luck with the base station.

Kruuuzn1
Aspirant
Aspirant

Well I purchased a new smart hub and the Arlo app cannot find that device either.

I've been using Arlo cameras for five years and there always seems to be issue to work on.

I'm thinking I should start researching a new camera system. This is ridiculous.

Kruuuzn1
Aspirant
Aspirant

After thinking about this more I’m back to wondering if the issue is a setting in my router since this began after re-installing it.

I guess I need to try and understand all that’s involved in assigning port numbers.