Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Cannot add VMB4000

Discussion stats
Loopie
Aspirant
Aspirant

New VMB4000 base station. When I try to add it in the app or using the web, nothing shows up after the search. The lights on the base station are as follows:

Power - solid green

Internet - solid green

Camera(s) - solid amber

I think it may be bad. The camera light shouldn't be solid amber with no cameras added, should it? Any ideas?

Lou

91 REPLIES 91
shaeckel
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hallo!

Ich habe vor 5 Jahren eine Arlo Pro Set mit einer Arlo Base Station und einer Arlo Pro (1) Kamera gekauft, kam dann aber leider nie dazu, das System zu installieren, da wir es nie geschafft haben die Kamerahalterung zu befestigen 🙄 jetzt hat es endlich geklappt, jedoch lässt sich jetzt die Arlo Base Station (VMB4000) nicht installieren. Im Verbindungsassistent der App heißt es immer das Gerät kann nicht gefunden werden.

Ich habe die Installation mehrfach von vorne gestartet und immer genau die Anleitung befolgt, habe die Arlo Base Station mehrfach resettet und auch den Router neu gestartet. Die Base Station ist in der FritzBox App sichtbar, dh die Internetconnection ist aufgebaut und stabil. Es leuchten an der Arlo Base Station auch konstant die ersten beiden LEDs. Dennoch kann das Gerät nicht gefunden werden. Gibt es irgendwelche Tipps? Was kann ich noch tun um das System endlich in Betrieb zu nehmen?

Vielen Dank & viele Grüße,

Steffi

Mase661
Aspirant
Aspirant

I’m having the exact same issue and Arlo support reckons that’s because port 80 and 443 are closed for my IP. I didn’t have any issues till a few days ago. I’m pretty sure it’s the base. What did you eventually do? New base?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Mase661 wrote:

I’m having the exact same issue and Arlo support reckons that’s because port 80 and 443 are closed for my IP. 

Port 80 and 443 are used for web browsing, so if you can browse the internet those ports are fine.

That can be an issue on corporate networks that use web proxies that block web sites, but it is almost never an issue on home networks with normal NAT routers.  Personally I think Arlo support usually brings up that idea when they reach the end of their troubleshooting script.

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

Just confirm that the power led on the vmb4000 is Amber before you go with a new base.

As stated in previous posts the base has failed to boot so nothing to do with port blocking.

Has the base station been factory reset?

Mase661
Aspirant
Aspirant

I did try all possible solutions that is available online to fix it before I open up a support case. So, I think you’re right about them reaching the end of their ts script!

Mase661
Aspirant
Aspirant

When I turn the base on, this is the loop it gets into:

1. All 3 lights flash green

2. The power light goes amber and the other two go off.

3. Camera light (RHS) goes green while power is amber and internet light is off

And it jumps to step1.

I did factory reset but I thought maybe try resetting again but now when I insert the pin, nothing happens e.g flashing lights, etc.

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

Just to clarify that you are holding the reset constantly to factory reset, should begin flashing the LEDs Amber, while they say to hold the reset for 10sec it may take longer.

Mase661
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yeah, I do hold it for like 20 seconds and nothing changes. Solid amber..

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Mase661 wrote:

When I turn the base on, this is the loop it gets into:

1. All 3 lights flash green

2. The power light goes amber and the other two go off.

3. Camera light (RHS) goes green while power is amber and internet light is off

And it jumps to step1.

Do you see the base station in your router's attached device list?

Mase661
Aspirant
Aspirant

No, it’s no longer there. There was a point mentioned by someone that unless the base is connected to the Internet and an IP is assigned to it, it won’t boot up. I also did reset my router to make sure it’s not causing the issue and it didn’t help.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Mase661 wrote:

No, it’s no longer there. 

If you don't see the base in your router's attached device list, then this could be

• a failed ethernet interface in the base
  • a failed LAN port in the router
  • a problem with the ethernet cable.

If you have another device that can use ethernet (perhaps a PC) then you can use that to test the LAN port in the router.

scarpwi
Aspirant
Aspirant

Forgive me but I think I am going in circles and would greatly appreciate some assistance.  My VMB4000 hub and 4 Arlo Pro 2 cameras have been working great for several years.  Love this product!  1 of my cameras has wired power and the other 3 cameras are battery.  About a month ago, the three battery cameras disappeared but the powered camera worked as always.  I was on this support community and saw some posts about the VMB4000 having a known problem.  I did power recycles with no success.   Tonight I tried a hard reset, 20 seconds paper clip in the reset hole on the back.  Everything came back as before.  Solid Green Power, Solid Green Internet (occasional 3 or 4 blinks but otherwise sold) and now Amber camera LED.  I have an account and the installed app that still shows 7 days of recordings.  I tried to add back the VMB4000 (serial number 4R057C76ADE8B).  The app said discovering the base will take several minutes.  After several minutes it came back with a red X "No Arlo devices found.)  My iphone 12 was 2 feet away from the base.  I tried the process again several times.  I did another power cycle of the base and tried again.  "No Arlo devices found".  I went to the support page and engaged the chat support bot.  Read through and answered questions about connecting the base.  At one point, I was in an apparent loop as it asked me to read back all the LED colors over and over again but the last time it offered me a choice that said it didn't work but the LED pattern is different... even though the LED pattern was the same.  Green - Green - Amber.  Finally, I was able to get to a point where I entered my name and email.  At this point, the chat bot said it sent me an email with a OTP (One Time Pin) to verify  me.  I never got the email after an hour.  I checked my spam folder and I clicked the button on the chat bot many times where I reported "I didn't receive the email"... so it says it "We sent an email..."  apparently that chat bot script has no other way out unless I get the PIN to it... which I cannot do because no email was sent.  I have been asking for help about this issue in the Arlo Community a lot.  I even am considering buying another brand of cameras but I really like Arlo and I think this should work.  There is more than a hint that something is known to be wrong.  I just want to know what my options are.  Can I replace my base?  Is there a fix of some sort?  If I replace the base, can I still use my cameras?   Is it simply that it failed and is too old?  I think something changed on the Arlo end.  Having been an IT support Sr. Technical Director for data communications with AT&T this smells like someone changed something.  Only 3 of my cameras stopped communicating (they have full charges) and now the base won't connect.  Please advise.  My email is scarpwi@ameritech.net. 

Deeshash
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi there,

Any idea when there will be an update on the VMB3000?

Thanks,

Deji

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@scarpwi the VMB4000 not connecting is currently being looked into by our development team. I do not have any updates as of yet, as soon as I do I will update the community. 

Deeshash
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi there,

Is there an update from the @BrookeN as to when the Arlo dev team will have an answer to this?

Many thanks,

Deji

shaeckel
Aspirant
Aspirant

In my case I can see the base station on my router, no connection problem between Router and base Station but still the app says during installation that the base could not be found 😞

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

It appears that your hardware may be defective. We ask that you reach out to support for more information. You can get to support by going  within the app on your mobile device click on the silhouette on the top left ~ support center ~ the device that you are needing assistance with then choose the behavior you are seeing. If by chance you do not have a subscription and are unable to reach out to support please send me a dm and I will create a ticket for you. You send a dm by clicking on the envelope icon on the top right of the forum page.