Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Cannot add VMB4000

Discussion stats
Loopie
Aspirant
Aspirant

New VMB4000 base station. When I try to add it in the app or using the web, nothing shows up after the search. The lights on the base station are as follows:

Power - solid green

Internet - solid green

Camera(s) - solid amber

I think it may be bad. The camera light shouldn't be solid amber with no cameras added, should it? Any ideas?

Lou

91 REPLIES 91
iambbq
Aspirant
Aspirant

My #VMB4000 stuck with solid amber power light starting last night. Won't turn green even after resetting the device.

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

Not a good look, usually the amber power led meaning is that the base has failed initialisation.

Has the factory reset using the paper clip holding the internal button for 12 sec been tried?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@iambbq wrote:

My #VMB4000 stuck with solid amber power light starting last night. Won't turn green even after resetting the device.

This means it is stuck during the boot process.

As @DannyBearAgain says, a paper-clip reset is a good thing to try.  If it works, you'll need to remove the cameras and the base from your account and re-add them.

Another possibility is that you have a failing power adapter.  Arlo doesn't sell them, but it is possible to purchase compatible ones on-line.  They are inexpensive, so possibly worth a risk-buy.

Of course it could be the base hardware, in which case the only option is to replace it.

iambbq
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the replies. Actually have reset that a multiple times but not working still. Have tried swapping with another adapter as well while the Arlo adapter was functioning well on another appliance, while  the same result with amber light stuck with the other adapter. BTW, the base would have all lights turning green for a blink only after powering on for a few minutes, and then the amber power light comes back. 

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Were you able to get the basestation to work?

Onj25
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi I’m also having this problem with my base station. 
the exact same thing happened same model and everything I still have had no luck getting it going 

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

@Onj25 

Sounds like a bricked Base station likely from one of Arlo’s firmware updates gone wrong.

If you have a subscription you can contact support and ask for a discount, assuming you are entitled and able to find a phone number within the arlo mobile app under settings/support, the device under details at bottom of page.

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@Onj25 were you able to reach out to support?

jeff_fee
Tutor
Tutor

My Arlos base station has been undiscoverable for the past week. Each time I call support they tell me the issue has been escalated and to give them more time. 
This is  unacceptable for a company to have a product that users are not able to use and they are not able to resolve within 24hours

all my cameras were working till I called re a 24 hour delay in footage . I was told to rest base station and since then it’s been un discoverable.

each time I call I get the run around and how sorry they are. 
how do I escalate this higher than it’s already been as I have heard nothing from Arlo at all. 
I think it may be time to get more reliable security cameras as these are useless atm.

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

Suggest you do a power cycle of the base station.

I had similar issues after a bad firmware update and using the base restart function from the app just made it unstable and going offline intermittently. 

jeff_fee
Tutor
Tutor

I have tried that along with reset and also disconnecting the entire base station from internet also. 

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

What do the LEDs show on the base station?

https://kb.arlo.com/000039100/What-do-the-LEDs-on-my-Arlo-SmartHub-or-Base-Station-mean 

Also had you removed the base from your account and you are now unable to re add it again?

jeff_fee
Tutor
Tutor

I was told to reset the original base station by Arlo support so that has removed the base station from my account. 
On original base station lights go from yellow blank blank to all green then back to yellow blank blank

my other base station (never used ) is green green blank 

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

Having a constant Amber power led is not a good sign unfortunately.

Have you tried to perform a factory reset on the base station, use a paperclip to hold the internal base reset button until the LEDs start flashing Amber, usually 10sec.

The base should eventually settle with green, green and constant Amber for the camera led that identifies the base is ready to be claimed by an account.

You would need to do this with the spare base you mentioned to add it again.

You should always remove the base device from the account before performing a factory reset.

jeff_fee
Tutor
Tutor

I have tired the reset on the old one and support advised me it was removed from the account. Held the reset for 10 secs even 30 sec as advised from support. 
and the new one I have also reset it but the base station is not discoverable. Apparently it’s an issue with other users but no resolution at this stage 

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master
Regards the new base VMB4000 you need to see the three leds showing green, green, constant Amber after the factory reset has completed else you will not be able to claim it into your account. Can you confirm that you can successfully factory reset the base using the paper clip? https://kb.arlo.com/1057976/How-can-I-reset-my-Arlo-SmartHub-or-Base-Station Try working the reset button several times before holding for the 10sec press until the less start flashing. I have noticed that the internal reset button may have tarnished contacts preventing the reset from occurring.
DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

The led indications suggest that the base station is ready to be claimed by an account.

I would usually suggest to use the arlo web portal my.arlo.com from a pc web browser that is connected to the local network router as the base station.

Make sure you have any VPN disabled while performing the add.

jeff_fee
Tutor
Tutor

Just tried that and still not discoverable. It rebooted light Green, green blank 

image.jpg

Loopie
Aspirant
Aspirant

That doesn't work either.

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

Does suggest arlo has a problem with their backend as other posts complaining have started appearing.

I will tag the moderators to let them know. @JamesC , @ShayneS, @BrookeN 

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

Looks like arlo backend has a problem, tagging moderators to let them know.

@JamesC , @ShayneS , @BrookeN 

Nanoviolet
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi,

Trying to install my Arlo WMB4000 base station, but app can't find it. I've tried everything that troubleshoot says but nothing helps. 

I've tried to connect base station with phone and PC. Tried to ask help, but chatbot is useless. I've connected base station, pc and phone to same router, and tried also connect them to wifi extender but no help. 

Base station is "new". Yes it is few years old but box was unopened. Base station shows for power and internet green light. And i can sync cameras with it.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You can try resetting the base by holding the reset button for >10 seconds, until the LEDs flash  amber. However, there was a recent comment (not sure if it was for a base or a camera) that old devices, even though brand new never before used, may not work because the existing firmware is too old.

@JamesC , @ShayneS , @BrookeN can you confirm?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@jguerdat wrote:

You can try resetting the base by holding the reset button for >10 seconds, until the LEDs flash  amber.

Just to be clear, you do that with a paper clip.