Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
mhcanada
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm trying to throttle the upload speed of captured videos (not live) because I've found when Arlo and Arlo Pro cameras detect movement, record, and upload, it's causing lag spikes in online gaming.  I've only been able to find the streaming bandwidth requirements and streaming live does not trigger the problem, only when a video is captured does the upload seem to saturate my upload bandwidth (2mbps).

8 REPLIES 8
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Use QoS to do this in your router. I've had similar issues (I'm not a gamer). I reserved a few hundred kilobits of upload capacity which helped a lot. You may need to try various settings to see what works for you.
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

OR, you could lower the REZ setting of the cameras, thereby lower the peak amount of data that will get pushed thru.

bandwith.JPG

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
That won't solve the problem since the upload stream will still saturate the upload bandwidth, just for a shorter time.
mhcanada
Aspirant
Aspirant

As jguerdat, that indeed only reduces the duration of the upload bandwidth saturation, but still allows the original issue to occur.  So longer recordings or if multiple cameras trigger at the same time, I still get a very significant lag spike.

mhcanada
Aspirant
Aspirant

I tried reconfiguring my network and enabled QoS on my Netgear R7000, but was unsuccessful.  Even with QoS enabled dynamically or manually programming the rules by device (setting Arlo as lowest priority and my gaming PC as highest) or communication type, I still encounter the bandwidth saturation when recordings of any quality (I tried adjusting that as well) upload to Netgear's servers.  

The simplest solution would be a bandwidth limiter on the Arlo base station, something similar to what I switch on with Dropbox, since I don't need the recordings right now, just eventually.

My temporary work around is to switch to Disarm mode, which I'd love if there were a "disarm for so many hours" or until the regular schedule kicks in the next recording mode, so i've just had to remember to switch it back on after I'm done playing online.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Have you tried QoS?
mhcanada
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes, but with a caveat.

So enabling QoS in my R7000 and letting it self manage was unsuccessful.

I tried manually configuring the QoS protocol, that was unsuccessful.

I have a Linksys e1200 with DD-WRT on it that I setup as a router, and enabled QoS by MAC address, assigning my gaming PC and Arlo base station different bandwidth alocations.

I have a 25mbps down, 2mbps up connection (actually runs closer to 27/2.2), so have the max down setup to 26000kbps, up to 2200kbps then Arlo's base stations is limited to 700kbps up and "standard" priority in the DD-WRT firmware, while my PC is max for both and setup as the highest priority.  Successful!  I no longer have any lag with Rocket League or am being kicked out of GTA V.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Glad you have a working solution.  On my R7000, I simply set upload QoS to ~.9Mb/s for my 1.0 Mb/s service which worked well.  Having finer control over the settings, such as limiting the base in the first place while leaving others alone, is a better solution.  Just note that limiting the base to 700Kb/s is a potential issue for image quality.  Use Optimized settings at the most and watch out for multiple cameras recording at the same time - you may see image quality degradation.