Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
SpecialK
Follower
Follower

I'm thinking very hard about purchasing this, but I have a NAS device at home and don't need to pay for expensive cloud storage. Is there a way to configure the devices to record or store footage on my NAS? I travel a good amount and being able to see saved footage from my personal Synology device while away from home would be nice.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

There is no local storage option available at this time... the recordings are store on the cloud and retreaved on request.

You can then later d/l any video/jpg after and save to your local system if desired.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!

View solution in original post

23 REPLIES 23
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

There is no local storage option available at this time... the recordings are store on the cloud and retreaved on request.

You can then later d/l any video/jpg after and save to your local system if desired.

Maxxodd
Star
Star
This is a must have. No way I buy until this is implemented.
svjanssen
Guide
Guide

When do you implement this function?

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

svjanssen wrote:

When do you implement this function?

There has been no hint that local storage will be in the future... your guess as good as mine.

Give 'kudos" or post it in the want area if not there... more kudos, better chance of it happening.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Idea-Exchange/idb-p/arlo-idea-exchange

cyberjunkyfreak
Apprentice
Apprentice
I'm not one for rumors however if you believe this article then it sounds like some sort of offline storage recording is on its way. Let's just hope that it's not just an exclusive offering...

http://zatznotfunny.com/2015-05/comcast-expands-home-automation-to-retail-trailblazers/
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

cyberjunkyfreak wrote:
I'm not one for rumors however if you believe this article then it sounds like some sort of offline storage recording is on its way. Let's just hope that it's not just an exclusive offering...

http://zatznotfunny.com/2015-05/comcast-expands-home-automation-to-retail-trailblazers/

looked at it quick and I see that Arlo would be an accessible via an third party app... not local storage

"For example, my beloved Kevo smartlock and Netgear Arlo cameras will be accessible from both the X1 DVR and Xfinity app this summer, "

apulaski717
Initiate
Initiate

The lack of ability to record locally is the reason I'm returning this device. It's a non-starter. Anyone with half a brain knows to cut cable and phone before robbing a place. Further what happens when 5 years from now, netgear gives up on the arlo system and moves on. Then I'll simply be expected to upgrade on netgears schedule. No Thanks, this thing is going back to best buy.

virtualuman
Initiate
Initiate

Yep, im about to return mine also.

alwezhpy
Tutor
Tutor

I just bought the system w/5-cameras and am probably going to return it for the same reason.  I can get my mind around the motion only recording (no 24/7 recording), but cloud only?  Oh well, I'm sure I'll find the right system.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Checking the specs, etc. before purchasing is useful. Arlo does have a camera that supports local storage, the Q Plus, but it isn't any more suitable for every installation as any other camera.

DamienNYC
Guide
Guide
Considering the OP was close to a year ago, and it's still not available, safe to assume it's not going to happen. Unfortunately this is becoming more commonplace in the market. My guess is soon you'll be asked to pay for cloud storage. Not much creepier than having home video stored elsewhere.
DamienNYC
Guide
Guide
lol and it's a NETGEAR product, yet doesn't work with A NG NAS. How long until it's declared a 'legacy product'?
manofice
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
They released their Pro line with this feature. They want people to upgrade to get the better features.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

To be clear, the Pro won't record to a NAS unless the NAS can be connected as a USB device to the base.

jmpdt-arlo
Initiate
Initiate

If no compatibilty with NAS Synology. I am going to return mine as well. I have make a mistake in buying them.

DamienNYC
Guide
Guide

The idea that a security camera has to have video stored offsite, in a specific way that benefits the company or pay more for the 'feature' is gross and beyond silly. It's one thing to offer paid storage for those that see the value in it; but forcing the buyers hand into a subscription model for your own security footage is pretty offensive. Given Netgear's history of supporting their products for limited time, this is a great product to stay away from. I was so naive I didnt think such a thing could be possible and purcashed it. At least I was able to return it.

manfredz
Hero
Hero

for many the fact that the videos are not stored on the cam is an advantage.

and 7 day storage is free so you're not being gouged.

and if local storage is important to you, the Arlo Pro allows storage only local usb drive.

There are some things I find less than ideal with my Arlo but storage method is not one of them.

givememynamebak
Tutor
Tutor

Can't you do that with your NAS and dropbox plugin?   Why would anyone want another monthly re-occurring fee in this world of re-occurring fees?

Rediculous!

manfredz
Hero
Hero

up to 7 day storage is free

DonovanN
Initiate
Initiate

if this is constantly being uploaded to the Cloud then how much data would I be using if I had 10 cameras? would my internet be able to even cope with that kind of bandwidth? having no local NAS storage means I can use these with my Synology Drive. Big shame here as I thought this may have been a better option than purchasing 10 cameras and running cables.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Only the Q cameras stream constantly.  The wireless cameras only stream when recording or live viewing.  Note that the base only allows 5 cameras to stream at once so you'd need multiple bases to stream 10 at once.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Knowledge-Base/How-much-bandwidth-does-an-Arlo-camera-use-when...

edvardsen
Tutor
Tutor

This issue is not solved. It has been verified as missing functionality. 

manfredz
Hero
Hero

more like wishful thinking