Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Elsfaire
Follower
Follower

I really hope someone can help me, as this is making me crazy.

I want to set up our R7000 as the base unit for our Arlo wireless cameras. I had the cameras perviously set up with the Arlo base unit, but every time we want to use the cameras I had to unplug one of our ethernet cables and plug in the base unit. Not ideal...

The problem is that I have been unable to view the instructions for how to set up the Arlo cameras using the Nighhawk R7000 as the base. I have spent close to an hour doing internet searches, reading tons of posts in the community, and don't see anything that shows how to set the cameras and Nighhawk up initially, just references to "following the instructions" and that the instructions included with the original Arlo base unit are not much help.

I finally found a link to this page: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Archived-Tribal-Knowledge-Base/How-do-I-replace-my-Arlo-base-statio...

But when I click it, I get a pink message bar that says:
"You do not have sufficient privileges for this resource or its parent to perform this action.

Click your browser's Back button to continue."

What is up with this? Why am I, as an Arlo owner and logged-in community member, not allowed to see the instructions on how to set up my devices?

Thanks in advance for any help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
CaptainDork
Apprentice
Apprentice

Make sure the Base Station is not plugged in via power or ethernet cable. We want it completely unavailanle to the camera.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

FWIW, I get the same thing. It could be related to the fact that the Arlo-enabled firmware was pulled due to many bugs. What router firmware are you running (top right of the router screen)? Likely it's 1.4x and you should stay there until there's a new release, rumored to be soon. If you have 1.6 installed, you can try using it for Arlo but don't bet your life on it.

To use Arlo on an R7000, look for a menu selection on the router Basic page labelled Arlo. If it's there and enabled, you can use your app or web interface to log in and add a device, in this case a WiFi router. Once that's done, you can sync cameras and go forth. However, until new firmware is released, I wouldn't even try to be safe. Monitor the following page for firmware updates:

http://support.netgear.com/product/R7000

I'll also be watching and will post notices when it shows up.

Edit: oh, yeah, a cheap ($20) Ethernet switch would solve your need to swap cables around. It just expands your network with virtually no overhead or issues.

CaptainDork
Apprentice
Apprentice

Make sure the Base Station is not plugged in via power or ethernet cable. We want it completely unavailanle to the camera.

blushark
Aspirant
Aspirant

So if I already have my arlo cameras synced to the arlo base, do I have to first set up the nighthawk router on the arlo app followed by removing each camera and then re-syncing them up with the nighthawk router? 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Setting up the router by ensuring Arlo is enabled doesn't have to be the first thing but it should be enabled by default anyways. I had 3 cameras on the base, installed the router, checked to verify Arlo was enabled and then deleted all devices (cameras and base). I then synced each camera to the router using the proscribed method (WPS on the router and sync on the camera). Quick and simple.

blushark
Aspirant
Aspirant
So is it fair to say that I will gain better transmittion range (Max distance) by syncing to the nighthawk compared to the arlo base station.
blushark
Aspirant
Aspirant
Also, Can the cameras also work (be synced) with the nighthawk range extender EX7000? Or only with the R7000?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Some have said they can get a better range using the router since the router antennas can be adjusted. It will all depend on your exact installation.

The cameras must be connected to the router directly, not through an extender. The Q camera could use an extender because it uses your own WiFi instead of the one embedded in the Arlo base or router.