Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Can multiple accounts see a camera!???

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
h45549
Initiate
Initiate

I have three arlos monitoring my home and reading this on reddit just now has alarmed me...

https://www.reddit.com/r/privacy/comments/4ortwb/i_bought_and_returned_a_set_of_wifi_connected/

How do I ake sure it's not the case with the cameras I have

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

NETGEAR has previously informed our resellers that retailers are not to resell cameras that have been returned, so the Arlo camera system in this instance was resold without our authorization. When setting up a previously owned camera it is advised that all Arlo cameras be reset from the original base station before the base station changes ownership, which will clear connection with any previously existing account. The configuration for the cameras need to be cleared as the settings may contain the associated account information of the previous owner. NETGEAR is aware of this concern and takes the security of our customers seriously. 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Were they factory-packaged? It's been my experience that repackaged items have noticeably different shrink wrap. Buying from a reputable store is a good start.

If really concerned, contact support directly. I don't know if they can tell if a system has been used before but it's a good place to start.

Jmilay
Tutor
Tutor

Reading through some privacy forums and netsec forums, I came across this post from somebody and was wondering of the communities thoughts on this:  

-----

"A few months back I purchased a Netgear Arlo home security camera set. I set up an online account, connected the cameras, tried them out for a few days and ultimately changed my mind. They were returned to the store and I never gave it another thought...until today. I got a random email alerting me that the camera had detected motion...but I don't have any cameras. So I logged into my online account and I can see the new owner, their house, and everything they're doing. Netgear obviously doesn't have a system in place to prevent cameras on multiple accounts. If I'm not mistaken, anyone could get the serial number off your cameras and link them to their online account, to watch and record your every move without your permission. A creeper dream. Does anyone else see this as a serious security flaw on Netgear's behalf?

I'm even happier that I returned them now."

-----

This is a major concern if true and hopefully someone or even an Netgear representitive can chime in to hopefully clear our fears of such a privacy breach being capable.

Thanks!

Jmilay
Tutor
Tutor

Just posted this here as well after reading the reddit post and then found your post.  Hopfully Netgear will chime in with clarification on the possibility of this happening.  Also if it is possible, a fix to this will be issued in a firmware upgrade.  Please Netgear, respond!  Thank you.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

NETGEAR has previously informed our resellers that retailers are not to resell cameras that have been returned, so the Arlo camera system in this instance was resold without our authorization. When setting up a previously owned camera it is advised that all Arlo cameras be reset from the original base station before the base station changes ownership, which will clear connection with any previously existing account. The configuration for the cameras need to be cleared as the settings may contain the associated account information of the previous owner. NETGEAR is aware of this concern and takes the security of our customers seriously. 

SDoorjam
Aspirant
Aspirant

This response doesn't address the earlier comment of:

If I'm not mistaken, anyone could get the serial number off your cameras and link them to their online account, to watch and record your every move without your permission.

Is that true?  Can someone just get the serial number from the camera and connect their own account?  If so, is there any way I can determine that from my own account?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
I don't believe there's any possibility of that since your system has that camera included in it's setup. Short of removing the camera from your system, there would be no way to add it to another since it's already picked with yours.
SDoorjam
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you! (phew!)