Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Can additional user get mobile push notification?

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
formerchef
Tutor
Tutor

Hello-

I recently set up the 2 camera Arlo system and it works fine for me. I sent my husband an email to give him access on his phone and while he can see everything, he still has limited access to make any changes. Is there any way to give him admin access?

More importantly, there doesn't seem to be a way to give him access to get push notifications on his phone, only email. Am I missing something?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

As I said before, push notifications are all or none. Unlike email notifications, which allow you to set the recipients, push notifications have no option. The only way for someone other than the person using the master account to turn off push notifications is to use the phone settings to disable them for the app in that one device.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Admin access is set up where you initially gave him access - Settings, Grant Access. Edit your husband's settings and give him access rights. Note that even with that setting not everything will be available as with the master account but it's reasonably close.

As for push notifications, they have to be enabled both in the modes/rules as well as in the phone's app settings. If all looks good, try reinstalling the app. Are you getting the push notifications?
formerchef
Tutor
Tutor

I gave him access rights, but he certainly doesn't have all the options I have and push notifications are not there, at least not where I can see them. They work fine for me (I'm getting both mobile notifications and emails). I would like him to get alerts on his phone since he probably would not notice the emails.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

As I noted, admin rights isn't the same thing as the master account login.  Settings is especially where that's noticeable.  You can't change the access rights inside an account that has been given access rights - only from the master account.

As for push notifications, you don't set them in Settings - they're in your rules in the Modes tab.  Are you getting the notifications?  If so, it's his app that's the problem, hence the suggestion to reinstall.  The only way to turn off push notifications is to 1) change the rules so that they're turned off for everyone or 2) in the phone settings for the Arlo app.  How to check that varies according to device/OS.  The easy thing to do is to reinstall since they're enabled by default.

formerchef
Tutor
Tutor

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the app on his phone. He has been given full access rights to both cameras from my account.

Unfortunately, in his app, in Mode, there are no options to do anything except edit a schedule. There are no rules for him under "Armed" and no edit function.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Remove his access completely and then grant it again. Maybe something got screwed up in his account.

formerchef
Tutor
Tutor

Well, I don't know what happened, but he got a push alert last night on his phone even though no option are showing for it in the app. So I guess it happens automatically. I didn't remove and replace the access, but maybe reinstalling the app did it.

I do wish it were more clear however, even if only in the Admin's app. What if he wanted to have it turned off? There are not options for that per user, it seems like all or nothing.
And in general, I'd like to have the option for both users to have full identical access. In our situation (spouses) there's no reason for one person to have more access than the other.

Still, I'm happy he's getting the notifications now.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

As I said before, push notifications are all or none. Unlike email notifications, which allow you to set the recipients, push notifications have no option. The only way for someone other than the person using the master account to turn off push notifications is to use the phone settings to disable them for the app in that one device.

nateshort5
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am the registered user, my wife has been set up as "friend" with access.  I DO NOT want to get the push notifications coming to me all day, but she would.  Any way for me to stop getting the push and for her to be the only one to recieve them?  Or can friends only get email.  Or can friends only get push if you, the registered user, get them.

Very frustrating.  She is the one at home or responding to alerts like deliveries or motion during the day.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
The only way to do this is to leave notifications enabled in the Arlo system and use the phone settings for the app to turn them off per device.