Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Genewiedenbeck
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the standard Arlo system (3 non highdef cameras and base). I want to buy rechargeable batteries but the owners manual say not to use rechargeable batteries. However, my daughter's Arlo 2 manual says it can use rechargeable batteries. Doees anyone know why this is and can I actually use rechargeable batteries in mine. I mean, the Arlo website sells rechargeable batteries and chargers. Thank you! Gene

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Hi Gene...

The original Arlo HD cams first came out and many started to use rechargable cells in them , needless to say there were issues with all the types people were buying ( cheap china li-ion ) so Arlo decided to say no rechargables.

Later Arlo had come up with a set and charger that met their standards and they were allowed ...

( Tenergy brand, 3.7v li-ion with built in over drain/over charge prtection )

So it is fine to use the rechargables now.  

Just so you know, no rechargable can contain more than about half ( 750maHr ) of the non-recharge type ( OEM ) so you may have to change them at about 1/2 the time for usage.

I've run the Tenergy brand and they work just fine .... charger is good too.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Hi Gene...

The original Arlo HD cams first came out and many started to use rechargable cells in them , needless to say there were issues with all the types people were buying ( cheap china li-ion ) so Arlo decided to say no rechargables.

Later Arlo had come up with a set and charger that met their standards and they were allowed ...

( Tenergy brand, 3.7v li-ion with built in over drain/over charge prtection )

So it is fine to use the rechargables now.  

Just so you know, no rechargable can contain more than about half ( 750maHr ) of the non-recharge type ( OEM ) so you may have to change them at about 1/2 the time for usage.

I've run the Tenergy brand and they work just fine .... charger is good too.

Genewiedenbeck
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you Tom.  I think I will buy the charger and batteries from Arlo to be safe about the mah since I didnt completely understand the last part of yiur note.  But thank you for your answer!

Genewiedenbeck
Aspirant
Aspirant

Think I will buy the batteries in the charger off the Arlo website. Thank you for your answer!

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

@Genewiedenbeck wrote:

Thank you Tom.  I think I will buy the charger and batteries from Arlo to be safe about the mah since I didnt completely understand the last part of yiur note.  But thank you for your answer!

Try and make it simple...

The rechargeables have 1/2 the power of the non-rechargables, so you will have to change them out in about half the time of non-rechargeables