Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Can I connect these cameras to the campsite wifi hotspot?

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation
gene69
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi before I open my box - can someone tell me if this camera system will work for my needs .

Here my objective : use these camera for my RV - I want to keep a eye on my pets during the day. 

Can I connect these camera to the campsite wifi hotstop  ? I assume the smart box will need to be programed to the wifi site ?  would that be all I need to do?

These camera would be considered remote camera - I want a camera  sys that can be reset to different wifi hotstops with little effort.

Do these camera qualify ?

Gene

3 REPLIES 3
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The base station doesn't connect via WiFi - it needs an Ethernet port.  You could use a WiFi extender to connect to the park WiFi and then it should work fine but you'd have to reset the extender for each park.  The Q indoor cameras may be a better fit since they would connect directly to the park WiFi but even then you'd end up having to connect to each park's WiFi, perhaps a bit easier since you can do that from the app.

These are not IP cameras, if that's what you were after.

gene69
Aspirant
Aspirant

Would it matter if the wifi hotspot -  needs a password ( open vs protected hotstop ? )

I was thinking of using an ATT data router - but not sure how much data it would take to hookup that way ?

i really hope the Q camerawill work for my needs

Gene

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
To use a Q in a different location with a different WiFi, you'd use Settings, My Devices and change the WiFi the camera connects to including SSID and passphrase.

Using your own ATT hotspot would work but you'd have to determine how much database you need. You can choose lower resolutions, recording time, sensitive, zones, etc. to minimize usage. Up to you to test and decide.