Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Can I connect Arlo via ethernet to USB directly into laptop's hotspot without router?

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
seajay8-
Aspirant
Aspirant

I had my router hacked into by a wi-fi attack..  Can I connect my Arlo base directly into my laptop with ethernet to USB converter using a hotspot I created and not use a wi-fi extender or router for x-tra security.  This way there would be not wi-fi signal to hack.

4 REPLIES 4
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

No .. The base requires an Ethernet port that accesses the Internet. 

A wifi extender off your hotspot will work

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
seajay8-
Aspirant
Aspirant

I just purchased a USB 3.0 Ethernet Adaptor.  It has an ethernet going in one end and plugs into the USB on my computer  on the other..  My computer indicates that it recognizes the  signal but Im having trouble connecting it like the computer is the router.  I got the Arlo for Microsoft & Windows installed.  I reset the base station to factory.  

seajay8-
Aspirant
Aspirant

Or can I connect my base thrugh the adaptor into my computer using my ethernet connection that goes from my computer to the modem?  I am trying to avoid a wi-fi signal and have a direct connection with the cabe internet signal I have.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The Arlo base never uses WiFi to connect to the Internet - it's uses the Ethernet cable. The base creates its own dedicated WiFi that can't be connected to by anything other than the cameras. Thus, your home WiFi has nothing to do with Arlo other than it connets to your router which may have WiFi enabled. If so, a WiFi hack still has access to your whole network, Arlo and otherwise. Changing the passphrase and ensuring you're using WPA2 as well as updating the router firmware is the best you can do. Maybe a reset of your router (or a new router) would be useful, using a different SSID and passphrase.