Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Cameras lose sync after power outage - every time.

Discussion stats
  • 42 Replies
  • 26 Likes
  • 15 In Conversation
vive_le_puppyca
Tutor
Tutor

This seems to happen every time I lose power... After the power is restored, and internet comes back on, the base shows active, and the 3rd camera (bought a single camera after the 2 camera+base station set up was bought) will come back on. But cameras 1 and 2 will show to be offline until I resync them. After that, they work as expected until the power goes out again. The will sync just fine. 

I have, in the past and currently, ensured that all firmware has been updated to the latest version available to me. I know this may not be the most effective home security system, what with lags in live viewing, and the fact that it's not monitored by anyone but myself... but that's what I use it for and the fact that a couple times a month I go a full day without having the front of my house monitored is concerning. 

halp? 

42 REPLIES 42
brh
Master
Master

@GatorHogg

I don't know if it is your data plan with your provider or the places that you are connecting to away from home have slow internet service. Has your location services bee turned on in your app?

Have you checked your account on a PC while away from home? If it works fine there, then it is probably the app or something is missing from your phone's provider.

Brian

GatorHogg
Apprentice
Apprentice

My apologize for reposting if the last post went thru as I submitted 2 questions regarding the Arlo Pro "library buffering" forever issue.

As this has been a problem of recently and aas I am new Arlo Pro 4 camera system with an additional 1 camera added for total of 5 cameras client, I am not experienced enough today with operations but will try later today accessing camera funtions away from home and outside my home wifi area.

Stay tuned, lol.

TIA

"My Samsung Galaxy S4 phone's "Arlo Pro" app was not loading of "library" videos. The "buffering" continued for over 10 minutes.
I recycled all my Netgear products (Netgear router/Arlo Pro basestation) and IP modem.
It took an unusaul long time to reload/sync, so I then uninstalled and reinstalled the Arlo app (Android) and it appears now to be working.
This "buffering of libray" videos has been an ongoing concerns when away from home and does not allow viewing or turning off/on cameras or any functions.
After I return home, everything works.
My phone is also in wifi/data mode to auto adjust for wifi void areas, auto switching to data.
Any help for this "buffering library" and mode setting" away from home or outside my home wifi area would be appreciated.
T.I.A."

GatorHogg
Apprentice
Apprentice

Also, with regards to the Weisserman Skins designed for the Arlo Pro cameras, I too have experienced the "hazing" or "fogging" issues with my gray colored skins.

So far, I have trimmed 1/4 of the side and bottom skins away with no positive results.

Seems a waste of money to trim the option of the lens cover away.

The white color of my cameras are not concern nor are the conerns of the camera exposed to moisture/weather, but perhaps the skins provided an added protection.

Again, the removal of the "hooded flaps" around the lens seems contrary of their designed purpose of sheilding rain., oh well.

Will keep researching for other no invasive options before the complete removal od the "hood flaps".

Thanks and have a great day.

GH

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I wonder if it's the age of the phone - the S4 is pretty old. What OS is it running? I think 4.1.2 is the minimum version but you should check. It could possibly be a driver issue. Have you considered rooting the phone and installing a custom ROM? LineageOS supports the S4.

GatorHogg
Apprentice
Apprentice

Ya, I appreciate your reply, but I'm not a tech savy guy, A friend of mine has the same phone and Arlo set up. I'll ask him if he's encountered any problems with his SSG S4 and Arlo Pro "buffering" set up.

But again, thanks and if you have any udated info that may address my situation they are muchly appreiciated.

I'll respond later with my research.

Stay tuned . . . 

brijuseye
Aspirant
Aspirant

i agree with u  completely.when u away from home during power outage how u can synchrinise ur camera i did not know before i bought ,luckily i bought from costco i will return , my cheaper wired camers always worked after power outage

Threshershark
Initiate
Initiate

Unfortunate to see these posts dating back years and yet the issue is still taking place. It's not just when power is lost, it's when Internet service is interrupted as well. One out of my 3 cameras will stay offline every time there is an Internet hiccup. All cameras are running the same firmware - 1.2.16720. Two recover seamlessly and the other, which is 15 feet off the ground and requires a ladder to access and re-sync, needs to be physically touched every time. Recovery should be a rock-solid aspect of any home security system and it's very disappointing to see this issue persisting beyond 1 firmware update cycle.

GatorHogg
Apprentice
Apprentice

So, as per my first query, my SSG 4 phone used to require a log in everytime, where it had not before, but has since been rectified.

Now, my question is about changing/recharging the single lith-ion square white Arlo battery (not the 4 round batterys per camera)

I have two cams that are acsessable with out ladders (hidden/camoflaged with Ghillie Skins by Wasserstein).

Can I charge these two acessable camera batteries first, then, in order to same time up removing the ladder access cameras, can i just remove the battery from the ladder access cam, replace with the charged battery, turn on camera and place camera back in position and will automatically re-sync without having to bring the cam in to the base station to re-sync?

Also, the batteries are lasting a very impressive amount of time, recording everything from birds near the bushes where one camera is mounted hidden and 6 feet off ground and people/dogs/cats walking on my sidewalk approaching the house.

Been a good 2-3 months withot charging (5 cams are showing average "70%" power left) with winter spring conditions of snow and rain with temps int the low 30's to now 60's.

So my primary question is, will changing a camera's run down battery with a charged battery require a re-sync?

TIA.

Threshershark
Initiate
Initiate

You should not need to re-sync when installing a fresh battery. I've had my Arlos in place for about 2 years and in this aspect they have been reliable and will re-establish connection quickly once the new battery is installed. Have your phone with you and do a quick test while you have the ladder in place to make sure.

GatorHogg
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hi Thresher,

Thanks so much for that information.

I also posted another quiry which seems to have been not posted, hmm.

I'm attempting to get one camera to trigger when another camera detects motion or audio.

So for instance, "Record on Camera 1 when Camera 2 detects motion or audio" and "Record on Camera 2 when Camera 1 detects motion or audio".

Is those rules applicable?

If not could you please be so kind to send some examples.

I've also attempted to "adjust" operations from the "Mode" section.

TIA

steve_t
Master Master
Master

@GatorHogg wrote:

So for instance, "Record on Camera 1 when Camera 2 detects motion or audio" and "Record on Camera 2 when Camera 1 detects motion or audio".

Is those rules applicable?

Yes. Create a custom Mode and you can have these rules. I have exactly these rules covering my driveway with 2 cameras at 90 degrees to each other. I have them recording for a set length so 

Camera 1 detects motion/audio and Camera 1 records for 45 seconds
Camera 2 detects motion/audio and Camera 2 records for 45 seconds
Camera 1 detects motion/audio and Camera 2 records for 60 seconds

Camera 2 detects motion/audio and Camera 1 records for 60 seconds.
This way any camera detecting motion not only records but triggers the other camera to record PLUS I can glance at the recordings and determine which camera detected the motion based off their duration

GatorHogg
Apprentice
Apprentice

Awesome! ! !

And much thanks.\

G

Susie8000
Tutor
Tutor

I totally agree with you.  We recently had wireless NBN broadband imposed upon us to replace ADSL and have found it to be excellent. The only problem we have had is with the Arlo system in our second property. We were notified of two Internet outages for maintenance and on both occasions the cameras did not operate after the outage because the base station was “offline” in both instances it was days before we could attend the property and the first time it took hours of reading these posts and trying things to get it back up and running. The second time was simpler because I had done it before but it made me realise how useless the Arlo system is because it fails at the time you need it most - when you are not there! My old Dlink.Cameras are still working and reconnect after power and internet outages without problem. I have Arlo’s in both properties and think they are a complete waste of a lot of money.  Support is also useless they do everything to stop us contacting/talking to them.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Use of a UPS and a networked power switch such as a WeMo can be very useful for remote locations. The UPS keeps the network (modem, router and base) powered during a power outage and the networked switch alows you to remotely power cycle an offline base.

bacondreamer
Guide
Guide

I know it's been almost 8 months since the last post here but I have to chime in on this.

I just experienced the same issue tonight.  I had just replaced the battery in one of the 4 Arlo Pro camera with a fresh one after been out of juice for about 3 days (no notification, only noticed when I checked the camera).  After replacing the battery it resync'd within seconds after powering on.    I then decided to move the base station from one part of the house to another to give some of the camera better signal strength.  The total outage time was at most 3 min while I moved everything.  In this short time period 2 of the 4 Arlo Pro cameras (including the one I had JUST replaced the battery) failed to re-sync after the base station came back online while the other 2 sync'd immediately.  The camera eventually resync'd itself after about 15 min, and this was after I hit the sync button on the base station.

To the people who keeps suggesting UPS while this may be a solution in some cases, but I think deep down there's an actual issue that should be addressed by Netgear regarding the sync issue after base station power loss.  What if this is a long term power outage which is common in my area when a major storm rolls through.  Most people won't get more than at most an hour of power on a 600VA UPS even with just the base station and a modem/router.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Not true - I have a 750VA unit that has run for well over an hour. I measured actual power draw using a Kill-A-Watt and, as I recall, I got about 40 watts total measured at the wall so included the UPS. That was with a modem, high-powered router and a base. The math suggests about an 18 hour runtime on battery although I'd prefer to be conservative and think maybe 12 hours.

Also, as to short outages, if I restart the base or the whole network, my cameras reconnect within a minute, probably much less, of the base coming online. Longer connect times may indicate a signal strength and/or quality issue for the base-camera connection.

Susie8000
Tutor
Tutor
I have major issues with Arlo cameras not rebooting after power outage. I have two properties and can’t be in both places at once. Providing the system with a UPS should not be the only answer Arlo can offer. I have another brand of camera that I have trialled and it has no problems with reconnection. Due to this and other issues with Arlo eg short field of view, long delay in notifying of motion/sound and a general lack of availability of support I have recently installed Ethernet connected CCTV at the premises that has less occupation. It appears to me that Arlo are not very good at fixing existing problems they just bring out a new product and expect you to spend even more money buying replacement systems. I was one of their greatest supporters when released originally but now think their back office and infrastructure is not keeping up and this creates a lot of problems for users who are not computer professionals..
GatorHogg
Apprentice
Apprentice

I agree with your commentson Arlo/Netgear's Blatant disregard for their last disasterous "upgrade" and their lack of customer concerns over several weeks of not responding or addressing that last horrid "upgrade.

I'm disabled and finacialy stuck with this defective and intermitant working 5 "security cameras".

Oh well, at least I feel I'm providing a good service turning people away from purchasing this disfunctional "security system" that still harbors many of the issues from the 1000's of complaints from the last upgrade.

A total waiste of money.