Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 12 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
Clarisa2124
Guide
Guide

I have four Arlo cameras, 2 Arlos, 1 Arlo pro and 1 Arlo pro 2. I can connect them to the base with no problem but within a few days one or even all camera will go offline. The only way I can then reconnect them is by taking them all down a resetting them so the can reconnect to the base. An additional problem I have is that I have issues viewing my library and live feed. It will take 3 to 5 plus minutes just to view live feed and the library to load.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Clarisa2124
Guide
Guide

I don't know if this will work for everyone but I recently reset the whole system by unplugging my internet as well as the netgear router for the Arlo camera's. I left them unplugged over night, the next morning I plugged everything back and the camera that was showing offline reconnected. We are thinking that there is something wrong with the netgear router, version VMB3000 which I think is the original router.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Clarisa2124 wrote:
I have four Arlo cameras, 2 Arlos, 1 Arlo pro and 1 Arlo pro 2. I can connect them to the base with no problem but within a few days one or even all camera will go offline. The only way I can then reconnect them is by taking them all down a resetting them so the can reconnect to the base. An additional problem I have is that I have issues viewing my library and live feed. It will take 3 to 5 plus minutes just to view live feed and the library to load.

What signal strength are you seeing?

How far are the cameras from the base?

Are you also seeing corrupted/pixelated recordings in the library?

Clarisa2124
Guide
Guide
Hello StephenB,
I currently have 3 of the 4 cameras showing online. Of those 3 only 2 (Arlo and Arlo pro) show 3/3 signal strength. The cameras distance from base vary from about 25 to 45 feet away. The Arlo pro 2 that is the farthest away from the base shows a signal strength of 2/3. While the second farthest camera which is an Arlo is offline.

When I can finally view the library files they look great. No issues with corrupted/pixelated files. My issues is that it takes a long time to view my live feed and library files. A typical times duration is any where between 3 to 5 plus minutes. That time duration is not okay if I have a motion detected in a location that shouldn't show motion at certain hours of the day.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

WHat are your Internet speeds, both up and down, as measured by speedtest.net? Have you swapped cameras around to see if it's the camera or location?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Clarisa2124 wrote:

When I can finally view the library files they look great. No issues with corrupted/pixelated files. My issues is that it takes a long time to view my live feed and library files. A typical times duration is any where between 3 to 5 plus minutes. That time duration is not okay if I have a motion detected in a location that shouldn't show motion at certain hours of the day.
  • Are you using smart notifications?
  • Is the motion recording configured to run until motion stops?
  • Once the live feed does start, about how much lag are you seeing?

@Clarisa2124 wrote:
Hello StephenB,
I currently have 3 of the 4 cameras showing online. Of those 3 only 2 (Arlo and Arlo pro) show 3/3 signal strength. The cameras distance from base vary from about 25 to 45 feet away. The Arlo pro 2 that is the farthest away from the base shows a signal strength of 2/3. While the second farthest camera which is an Arlo is offline.

If you swap the off-line camera with the closest camera and then remove/reinsert the battery in the off-line camera then

1. Does the offline camera go on-line?
  2. Does the on-line camera go off-line?
Clarisa2124
Guide
Guide
My internet speeds according to speedtest.net show a download of 113 Mbps and a upload of 11.4 Mbps. Yes, we have also tried moving the cameras and locations around. They still will randomly go offline.
Clarisa2124
Guide
Guide
I do have smart notifications enabled. Yes, that is correct once motion recording is triggered it will record until motion stops. Once live feed does start we are experiencing about a 5 to 10 second delay.

1. The offline camera will go online if the camera is reset and relocated.
2. After about a day or two a completely different camera will then go offline. Sometimes even more than one camera at a time and that could include camera that was originally online.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Clarisa2124 wrote:
I do have smart notifications enabled. Yes, that is correct once motion recording is triggered it will record until motion stops. Once live feed does start we are experiencing about a 5 to 10 second delay.

Ok.  Notification lag will increase if you use smart notifications or cloud activity zones, and it will also increase if you record until motion stops (because the notification doesn't happen until the motion stops). 

But the lag in live streaming getting started isn't explained by that, and delay in being able to view the video library isn't either.  If you are seeing this on your mobile device, then I suggest also trying to use https://my.arlo.com on a PC, and see if you also have issues there.

There are some people who have reported their cameras showing an off-line status when they use the iOS app.  If you are are using that, then I think you should also confirm the off-line status using https://my.arlo.com and also by checking the LED status of your base.  https://kb.arlo.com/000039100/What-do-the-LEDs-on-my-Arlo-SmartHub-or-base-station-mean

Your symptoms are a bit unusual - folks with camera connection issues generally find that they are linked to specific locations, and also they commonly do see some video corruption.  You might consider contacting Arlo support: https://www.arlo.com/en-us/support/contact.aspx

frank_dash
Initiate
Initiate

I have had problems with my Arlo for some time. It has been 4 years and I have had three cameras. The last stopped maintaining a connection to the base station. I would connect it, and within 24 hours I would loose the connection. 

I became frustrated with the lack of a working product, I miss the security I felt when the camera worked. So I contacted customer support. This is the email I received after our call was complete. Let me just say, I am not looking forward to spending upwards of $250.00 for a system that may perform as poorly as thee most recent one I was sent when I was still under warranty.

Just to make it plain, if they had offered a discount on another system I would have gone with it because when these cameras work they work well. They just don't work well for long enough. I suppose I will have to go with another manufacturer.

Call History :

Isp: NA
Modem: NA
Router: Make and model no: NA
Computers: NA
Other devices: NA

Issue:

Customer called in that his camera is not working , asks for discount

Case History:

Customer called in that his camera is not working , asks for discount

Troubleshooting details at the time of call:

1.Customer called in that his camera is not working , asks for discount

2. Customer asks for replacement

3. Said customer that his cameras are OOW

4. Customer asked for discount in his next purchase

5. Said customer that we are technical support department

6. Customer said that he is not happy with the product

Tried to convince , but customer was not okaY.

So closing case.

Clarisa2124
Guide
Guide

Ok, I understand the notification lag. I logged onto https://my.arlo.com to see if there is still a delay in the live feed and viewing the video library and there is still a delay for both. Although, the delay isn't as long as viewing on the mobile device. I also checked on the website to see if the cameras that are viewed as offline on the mobile device are still offline. The same camera is offline in both the mobile device as well as on the website. Addititonally, my base status shows all solid green LED. 

Thank you StephenB, I will most likely contact Arlo support. 

Clarisa2124
Guide
Guide

Thank you for letting me see how Arlo tried to handle your problem. I will be contacting support later today to see what type of solutions they can give me. I will also post what they say in hopes of maybe helping you out as well. We have had our Arlo cameras for about 2 years and have had problems here and there but nothing this serious. When these cameras work they are amazing and we hope to get this fixed because the options for wireless security are limited, especially if you are trying to replace the quality lost. 

Sjk1010
Aspirant
Aspirant
I’ve been having the same issues with my cameras ever since the last update. I don’t think it necessarily has anything to do with the cameras but the software. My 4 cameras are all within 30 feet of my base station and all show 3 bars signal strength. One of my cameras is in the same room as the base and still constantly goes offline (and yes the batteries are fine). I reset the affected cameras by opening the battery door and closing to resync, this is Arlos solution to fixing offline cameras 🤨, the cameras work ok for a couple up to 8 hours then go offline again. It’s a real p.i.t.a resetting them constantly. I discovered today that my one camera shows offline when I’m on the app but yet it’s still recording. How do they explain that one? Every time they do an app update it just gets buggier and buggier!
Clarisa2124
Guide
Guide

I don't know if this will work for everyone but I recently reset the whole system by unplugging my internet as well as the netgear router for the Arlo camera's. I left them unplugged over night, the next morning I plugged everything back and the camera that was showing offline reconnected. We are thinking that there is something wrong with the netgear router, version VMB3000 which I think is the original router.