Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 1 In Conversation
Prolixium
Luminary
Luminary

Hi - 

I've seen some similar threads elsewhere on the intertubes, but I'll add my experience here.

I've 2x Arlo base stations (both VMB3010r2) - 1 with 5x cameras (call it A) and another (call it B) with 1x camera (all cameras are VMC3030s).  Roughly 8-9 hours ago all 5x cameras attached to base station A started refusing to connect for live streaming, or even just showing status on both the web and Android app (they just say "your arlo device appears offline" after 20-30 seconds).  I don't see any new recordings in the library from these affected cameras but oddly enough I'm still getting periodic motion notifications from some of them that I'd expect to get such notifications from (they are outside).  I've remotely rebooted the base station A but it didn't change this behavior.  Base station B and its 1x associated camera aren't exhibiting any problems.

I'm wondering if the 5x cameras attached to base station A have been upgraded to a newer firmware version and are now in a broken state - but I can't tell because device info for each of those cameras is blank since the base station thinks they're disconnected.  There doesn't seem to be a way of telling what version they are running or /were/ running.  The 1x camera attached to base station B is running firmware 1.2.11810, FYI.

I'm actually not in a position to touch any of these cameras or base stations physically right now, but I have been able to verify my Internet connection and can also verify that both base stations are communicating via TCP/443 with AWS (tcpdump on my router & viewing iptables conns).

When I'm able I'll do the standard physical power cycle of the base station, reboot cameras, etc. to see if that helps.

I'm guessing not, but is there anything else I can do in the meantime, remotely?

Thanks!

- Mark

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Prolixium
Luminary
Luminary

A physical power cycle fixed the issue.  Look like I'll have to pick up some Z-Wave appliance switches so I can remotely power cycle the base stations in the future!

- Mark

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Prolixium
Luminary
Luminary

To add more info that I just discovered, the "reboot" request from the Arlo web UI or Android app isn't actually rebooting the base station in this case.  I realized this by running a continuous ping from my router and watching DHCP server logs - no ping replies were dropped and no DHCP requests were seen when the base station was supposedly rebooting.  I'm guessing the base station software is wedged due to a bug and only a power cycle will force it to restart and probably clear the problem.

- Mark

Prolixium
Luminary
Luminary

A physical power cycle fixed the issue.  Look like I'll have to pick up some Z-Wave appliance switches so I can remotely power cycle the base stations in the future!

- Mark