Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 17 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation
tampamomtsm
Aspirant
Aspirant

So, we purchased the Arlo Security System by NETGEAR – 6 Wire–Free HD Cameras, Indoor/Outdoor, Night Vision (VMS3630B) and set it up with everything working fine.  However, the 3 cameras at the front of the house weren't getting strong enough signal and if I moved the base station then the 3 at the back had too weak a signal.  So, I purchase a 2nd base station and moved 3 cameras onto that so I could keep one at the front and one at the back.  The 3 cameras that I linked to the new base station are having issues displaying on both mine and my husbands iPhone app.  They come up live, but then immediately blackout and say "Device is Offline".  But, if I log into the Arlo site from my laptop all 6 cameras are up and working fine.  Also, my son's iPhone displays all 6 cameras fine on his Arlo app. Any idea why those specific 3 cameras, on the new base station, woudn't display on the app only, and on certain phones only?  TIA! 

17 REPLIES 17
brh
Master
Master

@tampamomtsm

I think that I would delete the apps on the phones that are not working and reinstall it. That is where I would start. If that does not fix the problem, let us know the models of the non working phones. My system works great with iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus and older iPads.

Brian

MPineros
Aspirant
Aspirant

I do have the same issue, it is with any device running the latest iOS version, in my case iPhone X and iPadPro. So, this is really frustrating since the primary reason to buy these cameras was to check them on the go.

I did unistall the Arlo app and then installed it again, did not work. However, it seems that the iOS keeps some app data stored, since when I did reinstall, opened the app and allowed to use FaceID and it did logged me automatically again without validating other credentials. Anyway, my 10+ Arlo cameras are useless if this is not corrected, and it has happened to me for the last 8 weeks or so.

brh
Master
Master

@tampamomtsm

How did you connect the second base station to your router? Wifi extender, satellite on a mesh router or inline plug?

Are the 3 cameras and second base station all on the same account?

Brian

MPineros
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi,

actually I have three base stations. The issue is present in two of them. Those are connected through an inbline plug. Primary router is connected to an Apple Airport extreme, one of the output cables goes to a switch. Base station one (with issues) is connected to the switch; te ohter two (one of those also has issues with one specific camera) are connected to different Airports.

All cameras and base stations are in the same account.

Regards,

tampamomtsm
Aspirant
Aspirant

Originally we had one base station toward the back of the house inline plugged into the router, with all 6 cameras attached.  They all showed up on my login when I logged into my phone, but the 3 cameras at the front didn't get a good signal.  We took that 1st base station and moved it closer to the the front of the house, hooking it up through a Powerline and leaving the front 3 cameras attached to it.  Those 3 cameras are the ones working fine, no problems.  We hooked the 2nd (new) base station up where the first one originally was - back of house, directly plugged into router.  Then took 3 back cameras and synced them to that new base station.  Then when we login on some iPhones those 3 cameras won't work.  But they do work on some devices (and all of them are iPhone 8's).  But, if I login on my laptop, all of them display fine.  All cameras/both station are all tied to the same login/account.  Seems so strange that only certain IOS devices won't display certain cameras/base stations. 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

There is a new version of the iOS Arlo mobile app available from the app store. Make sure you have the latest version installed and test to see if you still experience this behavior.

JamesC

bjoggi
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the exact same problem. Added an additional Arlo Pro 2 camera AND a base station in my garage. Have spent endless hours to make it work, even made an ethernet connection from my router directly to the garage to get sufficient speed (now 500Mbps+ instead of 2-5Mbps earlier) for the Arlo to work properly. The camera is like 3 ft away from the base station and has perfect signal.

Thought that would solve it but this is where I am now:

- Camera records and detects motion, but I can never view it live or change settings on the camera (on the App)

- Camera works fine on a browser, I've tried deleting app and re-installing it (the new version too) but that doesn't solve it

- If I click the SYNC button on the camera it will work live on the app for a few seconds, then disconnects

I have 6 cameras and the Arlo Light and I'm getting pretty frustrated with this. I would say I'm very skilled in tech and setups, but now I think this is just a huge bug with the App and multiple base station setups.

tampamomtsm
Aspirant
Aspirant

Updated to the most recent version of the Arlo app for IOS 2 days ago.  Absolutely no change.  When I login from IOS app, the 3 routed to the new base station say either "This Arlo device is offline" or that the device is not streaming.  But, I can then immediately login on a browser and they work perfectly fine.  SOOOO frustrating, considering that remote monitoring (away from a computer) was the main reason for purchasing the cameras.  

bjoggi
Aspirant
Aspirant

Follow up:

I tried switching cameras and finally got the 2nd base station to work with one of my Arlo Pro 2 cameras on LIVE view in the app. The camera that didn't work before works fine on 1st base station (home) after switching.

After finally "fixing" this issue, the setup on the 2nd base station won't detect or notify me of any motion at all when it is armed. When trying test mode, it works fine and blinks the yellow light.

The only way to make it record motion is by using the Arlo Security Light with a rule set to record when it detects motion. 

The camera setup in the garage is therefore totally useless as a security camera system, I have to be able to rely on the camera setup, not just the light.

I'm getting very frustrated!

bjoggi
Aspirant
Aspirant

Follow up 2:

Since I've been spending most of my day on this, I might as well let you know I've finally been able to get this to work. But I think there is some BUG in the software and firmware with multiple base station setups!

Once again I did a factory reset on my 2nd base station (garage) and decided to change the name of that base station without any special characters in its name (it had special characters, but it hasn't been an issue before with any other cameras/setups).

After doing so, the camera is finally detecting motion when armed and recording. Also the live view continues to work.

I really hope I don't need to spend more time on this stuff. If so, I'm returning my 6-camera setup, two base stations and the security light. Seriously Arlo, get a grip and make this the product you advertise it to be.

This is no easy setup for non-tech people!

MPineros
Aspirant
Aspirant

I did upgrade the app, I did reset one base station and did sync other cameras to it. No changes. This is really frustrating; why is this happening now, after 2 years without issues? Terrible end user experience.

AutomationNerd
Aspirant
Aspirant

Having same issues, 2 base stations to handle limited signal quailty, 6 cameras, running through ASUS main router and 2 mesh network repeaters. Browser works great, no issues, IOS app shows 5 of the 6 cameras, sometimes 4 of 6, the two not showing are on a second base station, naming conventions are simple with just an underscore, no other special charates and under 12 total characters. If Support can assist in this issue, it would be appreciative. Has occured since the purchase of the second base station, resets, moving cameras, updated app, nothing seems to correct app issue. again, browser works great.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

AutomationNerd,

What is the version of the Arlo app running on your Phone?

AutomationNerd
Aspirant
Aspirant

2.5.5 is the version on my iphone

tampamomtsm
Aspirant
Aspirant

So, mine still won't work.  Doesn't seem to matter what I do.  We're running the most up to date version of Arlo app on the iPhone.  3 cameras on original base station work fine, 3 cameras on new one say "This Arlo device is offline".  BUT, if I login to a computer to view the cameras, they all show fine.  Also, really unhappy with how they record.  Majority of the cameras aren't recording based on movement.  Starting the 20th of this month, I suddenly have very few recordings, when I used to have 50-60 a day.  

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

tampamomtsm,

have you tried contacting support regarding these issues? 

mikasa
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am having same problem as rest of you

2 of my cameras offline via mobile ios app but perfectly fine when using a computer. I 've switched cameras and the camera's are fine. it's something to do with arlo and ios?

new ios app does not help, problem still there

very frustrating having 18 camera