Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Cameras Only Taking Pictures in One Direction

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
abede
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have three Arlo cameras.

Two of the cameras will only take pictures of someone moving away and not toward them.

The third camera takes a picture, but it only seems to do so when the object causing the camera to acitviate is no longer in the picture frame.

Any suggestions for how to remedy these two problems will be sincerely appreciated.

Thank you.

10 REPLIES 10
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

Have you seen this? https://kb.arlo.com/37/How-do-I-position-my-Arlo-wire-free-camera  Some of the details vary for different camera models, but the basics apply to all of them.

The motion sensing works best on motion that crosses the field of view.  There is some lag when battery powered, so you do need to position the camera so you have a wide enough view to account for that.  And of course distance matters - the PIR sensors have limited range.

abede
Aspirant
Aspirant

Stephen,

Thank you for your thoughtful response.

Yes, I've tried following the advice given at the link you were so kind to send, but to no avail. If camera position was a problem, I don't understand why my cameras only work in one direction.

Seems odd.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

Try the motion detecton test in device utilities.

It's possible that something is wrong in with a PIR sensor. 

If the camera has a skin, then try removing it.  Maybe also clean off the front.

abede
Aspirant
Aspirant

Stephen B -

Thank you once again for the excellent suggestions.

None of my 3 cameras still retained their shipping skins.

I've cleaned all three cameras.

I'm still confused as to why the cameras would record movement away from their lens and not coming at them.

If the shipping skins or a direty lens or a bad PIR sensor were a problem, it seems that the cameras would be inoperative in both directions.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@abede wrote:

None of my 3 cameras still retained their shipping skins.

I should have been more clear - I was thinking about skins like this: https://www.arlo.com/en-us/products/arlo/skin.aspx

@abede wrote:

I'm still confused as to why the cameras would record movement away from their lens and not coming at them.

That is confusing, yes.  Have you tried the motion detection test I suggested?  If so, did you try doing that test while both approaching and moving away from the camera?

abede
Aspirant
Aspirant

Stephen B -

Thank you for the additional explanation concerning "skins." 

All three of my cameras are "skinless,"

I've yet to run the Dectection  test, but will do so in the morning.

The Arlo video instructions at the following YouTube URL are delivered so quickly I'll need to take written notes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-7mkPxQ8EQ&feature=youtu.be

Thank you for your patience.

Stay tuned for an update.

Art

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@abede wrote:

Stay tuned for an update.

Sure.  Let us know how the test goes (either way).  If you can confirm that the motion detection isn't working right, you should either exchange the cameras with the seller (if you still can) or contact Arlo support (https://www.arlo.com/en-us/support/ ).

abede
Aspirant
Aspirant

Stephen -

It does appear that motion detection is working on all 3 of my cameras, as the yellow LED light does flash on each camera.

I note, however, that the light doesn't flash unles I'm, say, 10 feet or less away.

I don't know if this is simply a delay in single rely or a sign that the cameras all need to be repositioned.

The latter makes sense given that the cameras all work as a walk away but not toward them, in that, when I'm walking away I am initially closer to the cameras. I have all 3 cameras positioned so that they are at an angle and not straight away. Perhaps i just have them positioned to far toward the horizon and not angled down far enough. 

Your thoughts?

Once again, thank you for your patience as I think out loud.  

Your input has been invaluable.

Art

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@abede wrote:

I note, however, that the light doesn't flash unles I'm, say, 10 feet or less away.

PIR notification does have limited range (the positioning article I posted earlier says 5-20 feet from the camera).

10 does sound a bit short - maybe double-check that distance.

@abede wrote:

I have all 3 cameras positioned so that they are at an angle and not straight away. Perhaps i just have them positioned to far toward the horizon and not angled down far enough. 

You definitely want them angled, and placed so that the motion is side-to-side.  At least some of the cameras detect motion better at the bottom of the field of view than the top.

It often does require a bit of experimentation.

abede
Aspirant
Aspirant

Stephen =

Thank you for your uncommon kindness.

I'll keep experimenting.

I've benefited greatly from your helpful guidance.

Art