Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 25 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 In Conversation
Spy40
Star
Star
When in video settings if camera zoom is slightly minimised to focus on a certain area, does the pir still activate for the whole view range not just the zoomed area? as I'm getting activations when zoomed but nothing is showing. However the part of the camera view not shown is potential getting movement.
25 REPLIES 25
bryan536
Tutor
Tutor

Nothing exciting. Just placed a large piece of paper on the table. Marked a centreline down the paper, placed another line across the paper at right angles at an arbitrary distance down from the camera lens. placed the camera on the centre line facing away from myself, marked a dot below the PIR centre point. I had a mirror down the table looking towards the camera so I could see the trigger light. I sat behind the camera keeping very still and then , holding a pencil in the tips of my fingers, hands  turned a right angles to my arms so the fingers triggered the camera I then moved my arms slowly in from the outsides until I saw the trigger light come on whereupon I marked a pencil line. Simple as that. I did repeat the movement at least 6 times from each drection and the trigger was always very close. Did this both sides which gave me an equilateral triangle, joined the dots and then using trigonometry for a right angled triangle. Measured the half base and the hypotenuse to give me values of 0.66 and 0.68 which in log tables gives 41 and 43 degrees for half the FOV. Double that and allowing for errors I came up with 80 to 90 Degrees.  Same procedure for when the camera was on its side.

As regards false triggering I agree, anything can cuase it. I have an outside Security light and when the central heating comes on the exhaust gases coming out of the horizontal flue always trigger the light. Last thursday we were having high winds and the one camera I have put up had about 40  triggers in the hour. I had to take the camera off line.