Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Camera stops connecting to base station every time I leave the house

Discussion stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
LNR
Tutor
Tutor

My camera works fine and detects motion only while I am home. As soon as I leave the house, every single time, the camera is no longer shown as connected to the base station. All of the batteries and cords are fine and I even relocated the base station in an effort to make it work. The running man on the device screen of the app is brown/yellow while I am at the house, then turning black as soon as I leave. It is also impossible for my internet to stop working every time I leave the house. Completely defeating the purpose of catching my neighbors vandalizing my property. It is only ever a problem when I am not home. Cannot figure out problem and I've tried everything! Going to return this piece of junk this weekend ....

13 REPLIES 13
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Something isn't adding up right...

First , when MOTION DETECT RECORD is ON, the running man should be BLACK

If the running man is GRAY, it is OFF

If the man is YELLOW, it's senses motion and is recording/busy.

So yes... if ARMED and in the house, you would see YELLOW running man as your moving around... Once you leave, no more motion is detected and running man will go BLACK showing that the system is ARMED ( on ) but no movement seen

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
LNR
Tutor
Tutor

Well The running man is black when I leave the house, but it never records despite all of the driveway-car-movement. I cannot figure it out either. It only records and detects motion when I am there. I can also view the live feed, and see that cars, etc have moved from the driveway, but it doesn't record anything. If I go out in the driveway when home, it detects and records for the 120 seconds. I'm pretty computer/tech savy and am not getting it, especially since there is no relay through my phone or the app. I also have an adroid app and the running man is a light brown/yellow when its set in a motion detection mode, but that stops when I Leave the property and it stops connecting to the base station. 

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

If you could post a pic of the driveway, maybe we could offer suggestions....

Will tell you, as to placement, the Arlo cameras can be picky at times.... The PIR maxs out for people to about 20 ft. One on the common problems I see are users trying to cover to much area with the Arlo cameras and end up with less than reliable recordings.

Cars seem to be a whole diff thing at times... You'll pick them up in the road way going by but not in the driveway.  The car are big reflectors of IR which triggers the recording from a distance it seems .. but, the PIR sensor is more sensitive on the edges and to cross traffic ( compared to straight on ).

As to the phone and not getting to the system, is it possible to test on another device to eliminate the possible problem of phone interaction? Or a PC from second location?

LNR
Tutor
Tutor

Screenshot_2016-11-16-08-18-21.png

LNR
Tutor
Tutor

I am not at home, so I inserted a screen shot of the driveway from the camera. It is a perplexiing problem. I disarm the camera when I come home because it catches all the interior house movement reflected in the window. 

LNR
Tutor
Tutor

I signed into my arlo account from a computer, but same problem. Can see changes in driveway and plenty of giant detectable movement, and can live view through the camera, but its not recording the motion. 

Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

LNR wrote:

I signed into my arlo account from a computer, but same problem. Can see changes in driveway and plenty of giant detectable movement, and can live view through the camera, but its not recording the motion. 

Looks like your camera is inside by a window (?), Arlo will NOT detect motion through glass.

Paul

LNR
Tutor
Tutor
Well it does fine during daylight hours when I am there. Does not do well after dark.
Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

LNR wrote:
Well it does fine during daylight hours when I am there. Does not do well after dark.

You mean it detects outside motion through the window glass? That sounds strange, apparently that's not possible, day or night.

Paul

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Sorry, but PAUL above is 100% correct....

Tho the camera MAY work thru glass with HIGH levels of IR sometimes, MOST IR is reflected off normal glass and the Arlo WILL NOT work properly thru glass !

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

The camera is weather proof... it was meant to be outside !

The Q cameras will work thru glass as they use pixel change detection method.

LNR
Tutor
Tutor
The camera works fine through the glass, we did the motion detection test with me walking in driveway next to the Plymouth wagon. And all the since resets etc tests that way too. Haven't had any issues with that. It's that the camera disconnects to the base station and doesn't record motion while I'm not at the house. It's been tested in the backyard outdoors also while away from the house and did not record (we have 4 dogs that play all day, physically impossible not to have big motions).
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Any chance you've got geofencing enabled but not completely set up?

There have been a few instances reported here of the wireless cameras detecting motion through glass but it appears to be related to specific windows, perhaps due to coatings or the lack thereof.