Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
woseyjales
Luminary
Luminary

My camera's all of a sudden keep going offline. First one, then two, now three and cannot live stream but 2 and then just sporadically. It 's taking way too long from when I ask a specific camera to stream live to when it actually streams and that's if it doesn't time out first.

Any clues???

6 REPLIES 6
CaptainDork
Apprentice
Apprentice

When that happens, I kill/restart the app on my smart device. I don't know how that helps, but it does.

I have also found that response time is slow if the cameras are so far from the Base Station that the signal is very weak.

woseyjales
Luminary
Luminary

According to my little radar icon, I have 4 bars on all my cameras except one that's 35 feet away and it responds quicker than the other 4 that are 20 feet or less.

What was happening for me was, the base station green light for the cameras was not lit up, so no cameras were communicatiing. I turned my base station one half insch to the left and the all came online. It's not the app, or the browser, it's the camera and base station communication!!!

Maybe I have a bad base station Netgear??? It would seem likely, as everyone one of my issues is 2.4ghz related???

CaptainDork
Apprentice
Apprentice

Well, unfortunately for those who have to read this ...

I'm a boring old electronics technician and I have years of experience with radio frequency transmission and reception.

The antenna part of the Base Stations do not radiate the same in all directions, just because that's physics.

To add to that, the signal can bounce off, or be absorbed by, certain objects depending on composition and physical dimensions.

That's why I mount all my wireless transceivers, whether it be my home wireless router or the Arlo Base Stations, as high as possible.

Also, I do "fine tune" reception exactly as you have done by rotating them, or moving them around, for maximum signal strength.

I think you've done the right thing.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

CaptainDork wrote:

snip
Also, I do "fine tune" reception exactly as you have done by rotating them, or moving them around, for maximum signal strength.

And if that doesn't work , there always adding a reflector so you can  aim it ! 

(Works fine with a parabolic as the antenna is in the cam)  🙂

jokes aside, my base is on the second floor loft... its the best location for max range... have used up to 75ft -100ft

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
woseyjales
Luminary
Luminary

CaptainDork wrote:

Well, unfortunately for those who have to read this ...

I'm a boring old electronics technician and I have years of experience with radio frequency transmission and reception.

The antenna part of the Base Stations do not radiate the same in all directions, just because that's physics.

To add to that, the signal can bounce off, or be absorbed by, certain objects depending on composition and physical dimensions.

That's why I mount all my wireless transceivers, whether it be my home wireless router or the Arlo Base Stations, as high as possible.

I think you've done the right thing.

Thanks for the vote of confidence Cap'n!!! I think Netgear has decided that I do indeed have a marginal base station and they are sending a replacement. This is an awesome gesture on Netgears part, of standing behind their product.

Thanks again Cap'n!!!

blushark
Aspirant
Aspirant

what kind of parabolic/reflector would one use to help direct the transmission of the base station in a narrower range...say roughly a 90-120 degree angle?