Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 21 Replies
  • 16 Likes
  • 11 In Conversation
Frustrated-too
Follower
Follower

It is a very nice looking device, why then is performance so bad / unstable ? The camera's are going off-line very often, starting with 1 or 2 then minutes later all 3. Resetting helps sometimes but if you use it as a security device you want it to work if you are not there ! In practice it is more working not than that it is.

21 REPLIES 21
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

One thing to do is to verify that they're actually not working.  There has been a recent rash of viewing issues that (sometimes) can be solved by logging out and back into the Arlo servers.  If you're not having a problem seeing everything in the interface properly, then you have an issue with the setup or hardware.  Give us more details - perhaps it's simple - or not.

Danveil
Initiate
Initiate

I have 2 cameras offline(on total of 4) since this morning.  I'm at work right now.  I loged out at you suggested but I still having the same issue.

Can I do anything from work ?

Thank you.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You could try using the Restart button for the base in the app or browser.  However, try logging out and back in to refresh the view since the servers have recently had some fixes put into place as reported here by JamesC, an Arlo/Netgear rep.

Daddykool
Initiate
Initiate
I'm having the same issue. I just installed my cameras a couple of days ago. My cameras have been working all day. And now that I'm at home all my cameras are offline but my base is online. I have logged out and back in, reset my base and tried a different device. Still the same problem and to top it off I have a set batteries in that are dead after 2 days and 1 camera is at half already and the setting are set to factory settings
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It could be that the dead batteries are the cause of them being offline.  If replacing them doesn't fix it, let us know.  The reason for the dead batteries can be various, including lots of recording and/or live view as well as poor signal with the base caused by walls, ceilings, pipes, wiring, ductwork, and other wireless devices.  The thing with WiFi is that unless you have a signal sniffer to check signal levels all around, all can look fine but not be.  Repositioning the base is usually the easiest thing to try first, including using a long Ethernet cable, at least temporarily.

wga57
Guide
Guide

I have been using the Arlo cameras for over 6 months now and the latest software update seems to cause my cameras to be "offline" most of the time.  Before the "new and improved" software I rarely saw this problem but now they are offline more than they are online, which doesn't give me a good feeling about my Arlo security system.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

wga57,

Interference could be the reason the cameras are dropping offline. Consider relocating your base station away from any other WiFi devices and make sure your cameras have the best signal strength. Also be sure you cameras do not have weak or depleted batteries. 

JamesC

habarric
Guide
Guide

wga57 - I bought my system about the same time that Netgear was rolling out the new update, and I, much like you, have seen my cameras be offline more than online.  They did amazingly work for almost 3-4 straight days recently, but now, back to the constant offline.  And then you will see them come on here - just like JamesC did and try and tell you that it's interference from your wifi, or try rebooting the base station or your cameras.  Why in the world won't they just tell us they are still having issues and addressing them so we aren't driving ourselves nuts continuously trying to fix an issue that there is nothing we can even do about it!!

Kiranuddaraju
Initiate
Initiate

Kiranuddaraju
Initiate
Initiate
I am having two Arlo cameras with my base station , it was working fine till a week back but now live streaming does not work and shows offline all the time but motion detection for the time scheduled works. Some one please help me with an answer as I will be travelling all the time with less support for family
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

App or browser? Have you tried the other?

wga57
Guide
Guide

My problems with my wireless Arlo cameras going off line went away for a while but now they are back.  I have been rebooting the base station several times a day to in an attempt to keep the cameras working.  I have 4 cameras with good signal, good batteries, with the base station hard wired to the router which sits about 5 feet away from the Arlo base.  I am getting a message on all cameras that they are desconnected and I get this message on my iPhone, iPad, and when using a web page.  My 100mbs internet is working just fine.  I have been using this system for several months and everything seems to work for a while and then later becomes completely unreliable.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Have you tried the old log out, log in routine? Sometimes that helps.

wga57
Guide
Guide

jguerdat wrote:

That's is the first thing that I try and it doesn't fix the problems that I am seeing now.  When I reboot the base station everything works and then when I check my cameras a few hours later all of the cameras are "disconnected".

woseyjales
Luminary
Luminary

wga57 wrote:

jguerdat wrote:

That's is the first thing that I try and it doesn't fix the problems that I am seeing now.  When I reboot the base station everything works and then when I check my cameras a few hours later all of the cameras are "disconnected".

I'd bet a dollar to a donut that it's wifi!!! I had the same issue and I took an extension cord and a 50 foot ethernet cable, so that I could move my base station around to find the sweet spot.

I had every problem posted on this forum and at least for me, it was wifi and once I found the sweet spot, I've had minimal issues.

wga57
Guide
Guide

woseyjales wrote:

I'd bet a dollar to a donut that it's wifi!!! I had the same issue and I took an extension cord and a 50 foot ethernet cable, so that I could move my base station around to find the sweet spot.

I had every problem posted on this forum and at least for me, it was wifi and once I found the sweet spot, I've had minimal issues.

How do you explain the fact that everything works fine for a month or two and then at some point disconnects every hour?  In addition, the appeal of the Arlo was the simple setup.  Perhaps they should include "50 foot [of] Ethernet cable" and add that hassle in the setup instructions.  That's totally not practical.  Besides both my router and the Arlo base station are centrally located and, even if I could, moving either would mess up reception.  I am not a noob when it comes to wifi and networking and I don't buy the "it's you network" or "its your wifi" brush offs.  Simple and reliable is what I expected when I bought the Arlo.

Solarfarm
Initiate
Initiate
Agree. Offline...please wait forever....
Solarfarm
Initiate
Initiate
Ok we all are having trouble but not hearing any answers from Netgear!!!
woseyjales
Luminary
Luminary

wga57 wrote:

woseyjales wrote:

How do you explain the fact that everything works fine for a month or two and then at some point disconnects every hour?  In addition, the appeal of the Arlo was the simple setup.  Perhaps they should include "50 foot [of] Ethernet cable" and add that hassle in the setup instructions.  That's totally not practical.  Besides both my router and the Arlo base station are centrally located and, even if I could, moving either would mess up reception.  I am not a noob when it comes to wifi and networking and I don't buy the "it's you network" or "its your wifi" brush offs.  Simple and reliable is what I expected when I bought the Arlo.

All I can tell you is, that's exactly what happened with my system!!! Worked perfect for 2 months and then it went to scrap. I could even operate the system and check in from the European union!!!

Long story short, That's how I figured my system out, then when I came to the conclusion that it was my wifi, I purchased a netgear wifi extender and relocated my base station to another part of my home, then it worked for awhile, perfectly, with the extender, but in a month, I was right back at square one. This was all proof to Netgear and they suggested that I replace a camera that was bad, which I was fine with, but I suggested the base stations antenna was bad and should be replaced and they agreed. Haven't had an issue since the replacement of the base station, by Netgear.

I don't use they extender anymore as it's not needed. The pain and aggravation I was put through, for weeks, (check out my posts, it's all documented) troubleshooting my own system, not to mention the added expense of a wifi extender, for a system that should work, as advertised, out of the box, didn't set well with me and still doesn't, but if you can get this system working for you, hopefully, it will suit your needs, as it does mine, till something better comes along.

I was hoping that I could save folks some of the trouble, I myself went through!!!

gaheyrman34
Star
Star
I have 5 cameras, since mid January 2016, so it is 5 good months. Just in the last few days & nights they have been going offline for no good reason. I also think that it is the last software up grade, recently.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

gaheyrman34,

This could be due to low battery or poor signal strength due to range or interference. Consider checking to make sure your cameras batteries are not depleted. You might also consider relocating your base station, be sure that your cameras have good WiFi signal strength and limit the proximity of any other nearby wireless devices that could potentially be causing interference.

JamesC