Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Camera range (Arlo and Arlo Plus)

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
filmbuff
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello to everyone.

This product has come to my attention and would like to know the following:

What is the camera range of Arlo and the Plus model? Is the Plus offer greater camera range?

The use case for me is the following:

My house is a corner property. I'd like to setup a camera from the second floor window aimed the corner and sidewalk (about 18-25 feet away). If anyone walks into the scope of the camera would Arlo be able to capture and record?

Thanks,

Nick

2 REPLIES 2
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

The Arlo detects people to about 20ft max, The PRO adds a few more feet but has also slightly better detection.

But in you description , I see two issues.

1) what do you really want to see at that range..these are wide ( 130d ) angle lens so the camera are more of activity cameras...you may see what happens, but not an ID...also the night vision is not going to work at that range so you'll need lighting

2) If the street is in the picture which it prob must be for a sidewalk, your prob going to get a lot of false alerts from cars... cars are bigger reflectors of IR and that's how the camera detects motion.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
manfredz
Hero
Hero

just in case you were going to put the cam inside the window, the motion detection used by battery operated cams won't work through glass