Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Camera picks up most cars, but not all

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
HikerHone
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have a troublesome neighbor who's been harassing me. One of his stunts is to drive slowly past my house and stare in my front window as he does. The camera I set up to catch him in the act picks up other cars, but not his. He drives a white Toyota sedan. Any ideas?

SidewalkCamera.JPGThe attached picture shows the view and activity zone.

Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

HikerHone,

How far away from the camera is the location he's driving through? From your screenshot, it looks like the range could be an issue.

JamesC

HikerHone
Aspirant
Aspirant

Not sure...I'd have to get out and measure. But the camera picks up other cars that drive by on either side of the street, just not his. So, I don't think it's a range issue. NetGear support suggested I swap cameras, so I've done that. Now it's just a "wait and see" game to see if the other camera (an Arlo Pro) does any better than the original (Arlo wireless, about three years old).

ohiocamguy
Star
Star

The Arlo cameras have a short distance in which they can detect motion.  Whats the distance between the camera and the road?

I have a similar situation where my camera will pickup some cars but not others.  Usually picks up school buses and delivery trucks.  I have a theory that based on their size (and possibly speed) that they are causing the air to move.  That air then moves leaves, branches, dust, bugs, plants, flags, and other things which are close enough to the camera to cause it to detect motion.  So the camera isn't actually detecting any vehicles per-se, its is detecting the motion caused by some vehicles.  Just a theory, but a slow moving vehicle might not cause enough turbulence in the air to cause other things to move.