Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
Helmutonetwo3
Follower
Follower

I have two basic cameras & one is doing 2000 plus detections a day & sick of changing the batteries. The other camera is doing about 45 plus a day & both cameras are facing the same sort of area. 

7 REPLIES 7
michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

What are your rules telling these cameras to do?

Have you tweaked the sensitivity of the cameras?

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
AncientFlower
Apprentice
Apprentice

I have a similar 'problem':

When I look at the Videos that have been taken, there is NO 'Motion', but the cameras are taking up to three shots on a minute, ( set at 10 seconds each.)

What should the 'Sensitivity' be?

I am a Pensioner and cannot afford an expensive 'Subscription' to block anything or buying expensive batteries all the time as when this happens, ( it happens a lot,) the batteries don't last long.

This happens every time I change the batteries, the cameras have a 'field day' and 'take take take', even though there IS NO MOTION!!!!

AncientFlower
Apprentice
Apprentice

I am starting to think that this is a 'ploy' by Arlo to MAKE people 'Subscribe', so that they can adjust the 'Sensitivity' properly.

Like I said, I am a Pensioner and can't afford an expensive Subscription.

The only 'Sensitivity' adjustments you can make with the Basic Arlo is 'Power Management' and NO ADVICE is given on how to adjust that for 'Sensitivity'.

So like quite a few other people, I am getting to the point of scrapping Arlo after spending a lot of money on the system. ( a lot for me anyway.) but I have a problem with Teenagers and local 'Intruders', so NEED the system.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Don't make assumptions. A subscription has no bearing on how you use the system.

STart by reading the various FAQs here in the support area about modifying and creating modes and rules. There's a ton of info for the reading. Your sensitivity settings are in your modes and rules so go to the Mode tab, click on your base and edit whatever modes you use (sounds like you're just using the Armed mode). All settings are in there, including motion sensitivity. The default setting is 80% - try 60% and see what happens. Increase or decrease incrementally to fine tune. Be sure to save when given the option.

Also, the whole issue may well be your camera positioning. If branches and leaves blowing in the wind are visible, the sun's IR can be reflected off them, making the camera record. Getting those objects out of view makes a lot of difference - concentrate the camera view on the truly important area (your doorways and the sidewalk leading to it. Remember that people can only be detected out to maybe 20 feet so use that info in your positioning.

But start the process by reading the FAQs.

AncientFlower
Apprentice
Apprentice

OK I apologise, I am 72, so have a bad memory, with your help I found the 'Sensitivity' setting OK and have changed them from 80% to 50%,

But I also have a 'problem' with batteries, when I change them, they are marked on 'devices' as 2% or 3% even 'though I've just put in good batteries. Do you know how to correct this?

Do I turn the whole system of and on again? (re-boot,)  Or what?

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hey AncientFlower,

Have you tried re-inserting the batteries or try replacing it with other batteries (if you have any) from your Arlo camera to see if that helps?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@AncientFlower wrote:

But I also have a 'problem' with batteries, when I change them, they are marked on 'devices' as 2% or 3% even 'though I've just put in good batteries. 

These are the CR123 batteries (4 per camera)?  Or the rechargeable square ones (one per camera)?