Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Camera goes offline often. Drains battery often too.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
CD2
Aspirant
Aspirant

Unfortunately all of my camera frequently go completely offline. “Your Arlo Device Appears Offline” is what I see on the app.

The issue is that when this happens, my cameras try continuously to get back online and drain the batteries completely. Some cameras just had their batteries changed. These batteries can cost around $2 each so $8 a camera. With 5 cameras, this costs me around $40.

In addition to the cost, I have to re-sync each camera.

It is expensive and so frustrating.

My suspicion is it’s Arlo updating their software and killing the connection, but I haven’t validated this yet.

The hidden costs of these cameras and poor experience for users is unbelievably bad.

Pls fix this Arlo!!

3 REPLIES 3
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@CD2 wrote:
Unfortunately all of my camera frequently go completely offline. “Your Arlo Device Appears Offline” is what I see on the app.

The issue is that when this happens, my cameras try continuously to get back online and drain the batteries completely. Some cameras just had their batteries changed. These batteries can cost around $2 each so $8 a camera. With 5 cameras, this costs me around $40.

You must have the original Arlo HD cameras, as those are the only ones with CR123 batteries.  Tenergy rechargable batteries would be more cost effective (even if your cameras stay on-line all the time).

Are all the cameras going off-line at once?  If they are, then that points towards the base station, and not the cameras.  If you can catch it earlier, try power-cycling the base, and see if they come back on-line.

CD2
Aspirant
Aspirant
It can’t be right that the solution to Arlo’s terrible development processes that I need to spend MORE money to buy rechargeable batteries…

Arlo - what are you doing about this issue?
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@CD2 wrote:
It can’t be right that the solution to Arlo’s terrible development processes that I need to spend MORE money to buy rechargeable batteries…

US Amazon pricing for 12 rechargeable Tenergy CR123A batteries+4-bay charger is $70. https://www.amazon.com/Tenergy-Batteries-Compatible-Wireless-Security/dp/B08X6Q9VRY

If your batteries normally need replacing every 3 months, then you are spending about $160 a year on non-rechargeable ones if you are spending $2/battery .  So rechargable ones are significantly cheaper than what you doing now (even if everything runs perfectly).  The payback period would be less than 6 months.

But if you like buying batteries all the time, feel free to do so.