Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Charlie999
Aspirant
Aspirant

I've a 5 Camera Arlo setup and have used my own arming profile to set the recording on my front door to be 60 seconds. Mostly this is fine but sometimes it stops short of the 60 seconds and sometimes it goes over slightly.

My question is how does the system decide how long it records for. I thought that if I had it set to 60 seconds then after motion is detected it records for 60 seconds, stop the recording, resets itself and then after the next movement starts again. So if I were to dance around the drive for 10 minutes I would expect about 10 recordings of 1 minute with a few seconds gap between them! Am I correct?

The other day the wife pulled up on the drive in her car and I had a Motion Alert for a car. The recording was 40 seconds then I had a motion Alert for A Person when she got out and that recording was 60 seconds with her going out of sight about 30 seconds into that recording. So 30 seconds of inactivity. Another recording was only 40 seconds in lenghth with nothing before or afterwards. 

I cant recreate this either all the time but I think I've noticed that the recording stops if I Live View if during a recording. 

4 REPLIES 4
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

cant recreate this either all the time but I think I've noticed that the recording stops if I Live View if during a recording.

Yes, this is normal... when you go to Live View, you are overriding the motion detect ( if a recording is needed then you must start it manually )

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
Charlie999
Aspirant
Aspirant

So if the Alert pops up on m y ipohone on the lock screen and I hit live view you say that the recording stops and if i need to keep ythe fotage i need to hit record. If I do will it record from the point I hit record or keep the whole incident?

So person callas at the door and I get a notification. It takes me 10 seconds to hit live view. I then watch them for 30 seconds and decide they are up to no good. Will I have a 40 second clip or juist the initial 10 and then the footage aftert the record button was pressed? What If I dont hit record will I just have the 10 seconds on?

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

The way it is now ( recent fw change ) is if there is a recording going, you can also live view ( and the recording should continue till it times out ).

If there is no recording going and you live view, you are overriding the motion detect feature and should manually start a recording if you want to save same... ( haven't fully tested it thru yet ) Don't think motion will start auto record dring this live view ( not 100% sure )

Morse is faster than texting!
Charlie999
Aspirant
Aspirant

The problem that I see is that in m my case if I live view it stops the recording! This I think is a bad feature if its programmed and an annoying bug if its not. 

Today I got an alert stating that a person was at the front door. I Force Pressed on the alert on iPhone and an image pops up showing what has triggered the activation. Seeing it was a deliver driver I hit the live view icon to watch what was happening. Well the connection must have been a touch slow because it took a while to connect and when it did the delivery driver had gone. So I went to the library to see the recording to see if I could see the full incident. I have recordings set to 1 minute but in this case it was only 35 seconds long. So basically missed out the important part!

Surely this is not programmed in! Why would they have a live view icon and program for the recording to stop whilst trying the connect!