Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Camera Placement

Discussion stats
  • 12 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
KimboG77
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi,

I purchased an Arlo 3 camera kit and I need some help on the best location to place the camera. I have tried 2 locations (green) in the picture below, but both onll start recording from the red circle. This only captures a brief moment of anyone walking up and then walking away. If possible, I would like to keep the door in the shot.

Thanks in advance.

20171222_094800.jpg  

12 REPLIES 12
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

picture not available yet till site mod checks it

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
KimboG77
Aspirant
Aspirant
steve_t
Master Master
Master

I would put cameras in the spots where I've put the blue dots. I would then have the one closest to the camera trigger the one by the door. If you want to keep the door in the view, have that camera where your green circle is on the right. Having reasonable access is nice for when you have to change batteries.

One problem is that you've bought the original Arlo HD cameras probably because they were on sale and relatively cheap, but the Arlo Pro are so much better that IMO they're worth paying more for. They react to motion much faster. They don't have CR123A batteries to deal with. They can have full time power or a solar panel. They don't have problems with pink videos. They have 2-way audio. The base station has a siren (not that important to most) but it also does USB backup recording. 20171222_094800.jpg

KimboG77
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks

I didn't know about triggering another camera to start recording.

Agreed on the Arlo PRO, I am thinking about getting one camera to add-on for the front of the house. The kit I bought with 3 cameras and base was $199, so it was too good to pass up.

steve_t
Master Master
Master

When you get the Arlo Pro add on, you'll wish all of your cameras were Arlo Pro. 

Yup, create your own custom mode. Then add rules for the cameras. Then add more rules that get one camera to trigger another camera to record as well. It's a great way to make sure you capture what you need, not just people walking away from the front door with the Arlo HD lag to record

CeMo
Aspirant
Aspirant

Looking for help with camera best placement for my cameras(2).   I think I may need at least two more cameras but want to see how these do first.  

CeMo
Aspirant
Aspirant

Just figured out how to upload pics.  Please help advise best camera placement.  I have the arlo pro with two cameras..  How many additional cameras do you recommend?20130216_151143.jpg20130216_151030.jpg20130216_151100.jpg

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Can't see the photos until they're approved. In the meantime, read the FAQs here, especially the ones about best camera placement. The others are worthwhile, too.

CeMo
Aspirant
Aspirant
Are the pics viewable now?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Yes and the cameras are WAY too far away. They may detect cars but people maxs out at maybe 20-25 feet. You want to monitor entry points rather than a whole scene. Again, review the FAQs on best camera position.

steve_t
Master Master
Master

For your two cameras, I'd consider putting them as per the red circles in the pic attached. One somewhere near the front door. One at the corner of the building catching cars/people as they come in the driveway or possibly even on the far side of the garage doorArlohouse.jpg

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I was over-thinking what the pictures meant. You were asking for suggestions as Steve correctly understood.

I'd agree with Steve's assesment although the front door may be an issue since it's recessed so motion will tend to be AT the camera rather than across the FOV. You could use the driveway camera to also trigger the front door one with an appropriate amount of time to allow people to get from the drive to the door. Possibly having a second camera on the front would be more useful.

The back door may be an issue unless there's a tree, post, etc. to attach a camera to. A couple of cameras, one at each end, set up to cross-trigger each other would be most useful. Otherwise, try to determine where motion is most likely to occur and mount a camera so that motion is mostly across the FOV. Trial and error may be needed so consider temporary mounting with an outdoor double-sided tape until satisfied.