Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
NavyVet
Aspirant
Aspirant

I received my one camera system yesterday and set up the base station and one camera to monitor my front door from the outside. I setup one rule that said, "if you detect motion, record video for 15 seconds". This was after I applied various motion detection settings and settled with a 92pct setting. This worked the best to prevent the lag associated with the actual capture on the video of what caused the motion sensor to trip. Everthing seemed to work fine.

This morning I went to work and I logged in to my Arlo just before 7:00AM EST and saw the video capture of me leaving for work. I deleted that video from the library.  Then the camera went offline right in front of my eyes. It has not come back online since. I submitted a note to support about this.

When I get home I intend to reset the base station and re-synch the camera to see if that fixes the problem but this is certainly not helpful.

9 REPLIES 9
kennethbrown
Aspirant
Aspirant
1 of 4 cameras is off line after two weeks, there is also a flashing amber light on the camera. Does anyone know what is wrong?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
<p>Squid (I was one, also), try logging out and back in to see if that fixes the issue. If the camera is truly off, make sure you mode/schedule is supposed to be turning it on. In the Camera's view, is the running man green or gray? &nbsp;If the latter, your mode/schedule needs to be checked. If all seems fine, try opening the battery door for a few seconds and then closemit. Watch the LEDs on the front of the camera - the blue one should blink rapidly while syncing withe the base but the Amber one may also come on, indicating that it's updating it's firmware. If it's updating, leave it alone untilmallmLEDs gomoutnor you may end up with a goobered camera.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>KB, the flashing amber LED could be signalling a problem. Try the same battery door operation and see if that helps. Let us know.</p>
NavyVet
Aspirant
Aspirant

I came home from work and removed the camera at my front door. I unplugged the base station and let it set for about five minutes. I also unplugged my router at the same time. I then opened up the camera case fully. 

I moved the base station about four feet away from the router and plugged in my router connected the ethernet cable to the base station and plugged everything in. I waited about five additional minutes and then when I had two green lights indicating the base statione was connected to the internet I closed the camera.

I expected that I would have to re-synch the camera to the base station. However, the camera immediately started to synch on it's own with the blue light rapidly blinking until just a few seconds later it was synched back up. I immediately could view the camera view on my Arlo app and on my computer. I replaced the camera to its outside mount and it appears to be working okay. I will wait again overnight and see what happens tomorro morning.

The problem is that I have no idea what caused the camera to go offline initially this morning. Will it happen again? Is this going to be a constant thing with my single camera? I can't imagine having more cameras and having to do this constantly. I have four cameras on order and will be seriously considering returning everything if that becomes the case.

JPC
Prodigy
Prodigy

NavyVet wrote:

The problem is that I have no idea what caused the camera to go offline initially this morning. Will it happen again? Is this going to be a constant thing with my single camera? I can't imagine having more cameras and having to do this constantly. I have four cameras on order and will be seriously considering returning everything if that becomes the case.

It happened to me before 1 of my 4 cams went offline for no reason in front of me.. It came back when I did a reset just like what you did.. It was a Server Glitch.. since then I haven't experienced it.. so to answer your question.. since our system are controlled by Arlo Netgear, who knows what's gonna' happen.. It may or may not happen again.. All I can tell you is keep your receipt if you wanna' give some more thought of keeping it and I think if you stayed within the 30-day return policy, you can have a full refund of your money and save yourself a headache/frustration later on.. 

NavyVet
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yesterday after resetting the base station and putting the one camera back outside my front door I decided to connect a second camera I received. It connected fine and I placed that inside my home to monitor the entrance to an upper floor. It worked fine.

This morning I checked the base station and I have green lights so I went downstairs and the inside camera activates/records. I see it on my app. I go to work and the outside camera activates and I see it on the app. I get to work and check the cameras on the my Arlo page and when I click on each to get an updated view, the resonse is "connection failed" for both cameras. What is the deal?  I'm using Firefox browser with the latest flash app. Second day in a row since receiving the system that something has prevented the cameras from working properly after I get to work.

I have no choice other than to wait until I get home after work and troubleshoot this all over again.

NavyVet
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yesterday I added one more camera for a total of two to my system. The original one is outside the front door and the second is inside. This morning I get up and check the base station and it has green lights so its good to go. Both cameras detect motion and record as I leave for work. I'm able to view it on my Arlo app on my phone. I get to work and login to Arlo via Firefox web browser. I see the earlier recordings from this morning. I delete them. I then click on each camera to get an updated view and both cameras report, "connection failed". Extremely disappointing.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Right now, the standard procedure is to log out and back in to see if that helps.  Dunno why it's needed and it doesn't work for everyone. Use of the app might be a better choice for the moment.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

NavyVet,

Welcome to the community! I apologize for the frustrating start. It sounds like the problem is isolated to when you are at work. When you received the "connection failed" message from your computer at work were you able to successfully stream on the phone app (WiFi or 3g/4g)? Some users have experienced issues due to network security features or anti-virus software. Were you able to successfully stream once you returned home? Please let us know!

Regards,

JamesC

NavyVet
Aspirant
Aspirant

James,

thanks for the welcome. I really like the flexibility that the Arlo camera system potentially offers to me so I'm going to work hard to get them to work for me.

I am unable to have my phone at work in the building so I was only able to check to see if they were working correctly after work and the answer is yes, they were good to go. I got home and same there. They were accessible from my home computer. So this must be an issue with blocking taking place on the network at work.

I'll continue to monitor from home and my phone to see if anything happens again. I have three additional cameras that I'm waiting to synch up. I want to get used to the two first and gain familiarity with the rules and motion detection settings. So far it appears to be pretty intuitive.

Jon