Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
KLG
Tutor
Tutor

I have had my 2 camera system for 9 month's now.  At first it worked perfectly.  Then I started to get "smeared" or "ghosted" recordings.  Then I started to get an occasional "green screen" recording.  Now I'm getting about 3 "black screen" recordings daily.  In the library the recording shows a picture of the recording like normal.  But playback is all "black screen".  The "smearing" problem has mostly resolved, I suspect by some improvement made by Arlo, not any adjustment on my end.  Anybody else having this problem of "Black Screen Recordings"?  Thanks.....

6 REPLIES 6
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

KLG,

I have seen the green screen/smeared/ghost recordings when large amounts of interference are introduced into the cameras environment. This could be the cause of that issue.

I have not seen "Black screen recordings" If you download the video locally and then play back using a media player, do you see the same behavior? Do different browsers also yield the same results?

Is it both of your cameras producing this type of recording or is it isolated to a single camera? You could try swapping the cameras locations to see if the issue follows the affected camera. This would help isolate if the issue lies with the location of the camera or the camera itself.

JamesC

KLG
Tutor
Tutor

From library, when I play back recordings, sometimes I still get the "black screen" for the entire playback, from both of my cameras.  What I have learned is that if I go back to library, and click on that same recording, then it plays back normal!  So I still have the "problem" but have this "work around".

New Problem:

I just bought a second Arlo camera system for my cabin and my wife's use.   She has a iPhone from which she desires to access Arlo.  However, the Arlo app she downloaded has no "mode" setting from which to access "all motion on" from which to set recording "rules".  Heard of this problem?  Any ideas how to fix this so my wife can use iPhone to set motion settings?  Thanks....Ken.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

KLG wrote:

From library, when I play back recordings, sometimes I still get the "black screen" for the entire playback, from both of my cameras.  What I have learned is that if I go back to library, and click on that same recording, then it plays back normal!  So I still have the "problem" but have this "work around".

That's a display issue. Make sure all updates for your device are installed - could be a driver needs update.  Another workaround is to download the video and see if it plays ok.  Based on your experience, it will.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

KLG,

You should see this setting next to Cameras, Library and Settings across the bottom of the app screen. Take a look at this article as there are some screenshots that will help guide you to editing modes on iOS: How can I set an Arlo camera schedule using an iOS app?

If you are still having issues, consider reinstalling the app and make sure your phone is update to date with the latest version of iOS. 

JamesC

Dionesio
Aspirant
Aspirant

I recently purchased the Wire Free Camera and having the same issue.  When I playback the video there is a black screen.  I have recorded both manually and by motion and the picture of the recording looks good but when I play it back it is a black screen.  I have downloaded the file to my computer and played it back and get the same results.  I tried several recording and downloaded the latest firmware for the camera.  Are there any fixes for this issue yet?

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

It's a flash issue more than likely.... Try Fire Fox browser as it seems to work the best with flash problems

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------