Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Mijk
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hi, what is the best arlo camera atm for outdoor usage. Is it the arlo ultra or pro 3? And has anyone tested the arlo light, is it worth buying? Does it light up good? 🙂
4 REPLIES 4
defilade
Apprentice
Apprentice

Not sure about what's the best camera, but IMO don't waste your money on the Arlo lights. If you **reeeeally** need an additional, non-camera device to use as a trigger for your cameras, then yes they work for that. But they're virtually useless for extending the camera's range at night. If that's what you want, get a dedicated, motion-sensing IR illuminator. From a purely lighting perspective, for example you just want to light up your door entry area when someone approaches, they're no better than motion-sensing LED lights you can get from Amazon for less than $30.

Mijk
Aspirant
Aspirant
As i thought then about the arlo light. im thinking of buying the new arlo Pro 3 or the arlo ultra. Just trying to see the difference on those two.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

Personally I'd say the Ultra is better.

Ultra

• has max 180 degree field of view
  • has 4K resultoin
  • connects at both 2.4 ghz and 5 ghz
  • has wind noise reduction for audio
  • IMO has somewhat better color

Pro 3

• has max 160 degree field of view
  • has 2k resolution
  • no audio noise reduction
  • connects at only 2.4 ghz.

mamarcac
Apprentice
Apprentice

That's funny, I'm pretty hard on Arlo on these forums but the Lights for me have been the best purchase. I use them as motion extenders since my cameras have good coverage for recording but are sometimes a bit far from where I want motion detected.

I'm running 3 of the lights and unlike all the issues with camera quality, lag, etc., the lights have pretty much just "worked".

For lights and cameras, I highly suggest getting some of the silicone covers available. Got mine on Amazon and I think they really help protect from UV rays and fine dust particles. Not to mention any rain.