Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Battery recommendation

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
Rasto
Follower
Follower
My battery life has been awful lately. One of my cameras went from 84% to 18% instantaneously. Currently I’m using Tenergy Propel 3V CR123A Lithium Battery. Can any one recommend batteries that have better battery life?
2 REPLIES 2
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

@Rasto wrote:
My battery life has been awful lately. One of my cameras went from 84% to 18% instantaneously. Currently I’m using Tenergy Propel 3V CR123A Lithium Battery. Can any one recommend batteries that have better battery life?

First... no.  The Tenergy cells are close to the best rated you can fine ( tho there are a couple a slight bit higher in rating, the real world use won't make any difference )  The largest capacity ( real rating ) is a bit higher than 700maHr, you can not physically fit more chemicals in that 123 package to supply more.

Second, my Tenegy cells run for about 2 months in spec use and thats about all you'll get , tho the savings is that they are rechargable.

So, yes there seems to be an issue with the setup/cameras your using. There is several possible issues;

Make sure the cells are fully charged when placing in ( some time they can go bad so if you have two sets ,try the others , I number each cell with a sharpie just in case ) they should come off the charger at about 4.2v for a 3.7v li-ion.( if you can test with a voltmeter )

Make sure the cells are pushed down by the door so they make good contact

Last, yes it may be a fw bug.... but TMK, make sure you are not "turning off " the cameras but just disarming it ( this is the current issue, if disarmed IRs don't come on.  If you find they are, then reset the camera( pull batteries, replace), reset the base ( power off then on ).  If that doesn't fix , contact Netgear Support to see if they have better answers.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
MikeBravo
Luminary
Luminary

Not sure what is going on as I just logged in for the first time in a while and Arlo made me confirm my registration like I was a new user. 

I havent' heard much from the forum and was wondering if everyone just dumped all their cameras or what and certianly didn't know about this IR bug being reported here.

Don't think that it is my problem though. I have complained here often (though most of my posts have mysteriously disappeared) and just this morning two of my cameras that were reading 67% as of 9:00 am DST, the very next morning were down to 10% and 15% triggering a Netgear e-mail. 

Once again, I checked the batteries, found ONLY ONE BAD ONE, replaced it and now both cameras are back up to 80%. I continue to wonder how many users are throwing away batteries that have life in them only because they are folloiwng the alerts believing that the cameras are accurately reporting the remaining charge. 

As far as batteries go, Battery Junction has the same Panasonic CR123's that Netgear issues along with Duracells on sale for $1.50 each discounted from the typical $4.99 each.