Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
basgroot
Follower
Follower

Question about ground station placement and possible shorter camera battery life with a weak signal.

After about 4 weeks the ground station lost contact with the camera. Turns out batteries were dead (now 2V instead of 3V). So 4 weeks instead of the promised of 4-6 months, why? Set default footage quality. Normal room temperature. Hung in a room where nobody is supposed to come, so it shot about 15 clips in total and I checked live image 2 times a week just to assure it still works, so usage is well below the stated 4 mins/day. 

First when it lost contact the amber led was still blinking for a week or so, but maybe it drained the battery extra fast because this led was probably blinking day and night.

What I want to know is: Between the cam and the ground station the signal has to go through a 10 inch / 25 cm thick reinforced concrete wall, diagonally. It didn't seem to affect performance when installing, worked just super. But could this affect battery life? Meaning: does the camera use more power to transmit data if the signal exchange with the ground station is weak, draining the battery faster? So if performance is good, does it even make sense for battery life to do a cabling effort to get the ground station closer to the camera?

5 REPLIES 5
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Basically, yes, but it depends on lots of variables. Does the wall have reinforcing bar, wiring or ductwork in it? Could be just a small movement of the base and/or camera may make a lot of difference. If needed, a WiFi extender for the base could be useful. Just make sure it has an Ethernet port.

Momzilla
Guide
Guide
Well arlo could have designed these
With at least dect 6 instead of 2.4 hits
Very disappointing we wouldn't need extenders my cordless phone has better
Comectivity through walls and distance from base station
Momzilla
Guide
Guide
2.4 megahertz
Momzilla
Guide
Guide
Is not enough
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Momzilla wrote:
Very disappointing we wouldn't need extenders my cordless phone has better
Comectivity through walls and distance from base station

And that cordless phone only has to transmit/receive audio frequencies.