Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
vwstu
Star
Star

I just installed my Arlo system today and the process was extremely easy and up and running quickly. However I just received  a notice that my front camera has only 10% battery life left. Since they only have been installed  about 8 hours ago I am needless to say a bit disappointeed that they are failing. Any help or suggestions.

Thanks

117 REPLIES 117
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

mmootrey wrote:

.  It worked fine for a rather short time, then it was also reporting low batteries. 

We installed the new batteries,  Much to our surprise the cameras DID WORK.   Our excite ended quickly, after just a few days the low battery message appeared.   

The first thing I ask when people say the batteries lasted for a short time is.... How much usage are u doing??

First, I run on best video and the batteries run nomally 4 months to 7 months on very lightly used cameras.

Second, the spec use of the Arlo cameras is 4 mins per day to hit the aprox battery stated life. This may not sound like much, but if used as designed to record only on motion detect, it works fine.... these are not 24/7 view type cameras.

Third, since your own statement say you were leaving to go back to NH for six months, the batteries in normal use would prob not last the duration you need.

You may be better served byt the Q cameras which are AC powered ( inside only tho ) or another type of system.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
indytech
Aspirant
Aspirant

I installed this camera less than two weeks ago, outdoors.  The temperatures have not dropped below 55 degrees F in that time, so this issue has nothing to do with freezing or low temperatures.  My firmware is 1.2.4941.  Please advise....this is frustrating...and it's not just reporting low battery, the image detail has become blurry and black and white...it appears the batteries truly are low...

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

indytech wrote:

I installed this camera less than two weeks ago, outdoors.  The temperatures have not dropped below 55 degrees F in that time, so this issue has nothing to do with freezing or low temperatures.  My firmware is 1.2.4941.  Please advise....this is frustrating...and it's not just reporting low battery, the image detail has become blurry and black and white...it appears the batteries truly are low...

Is this the only camera you have?... If u have more than one and the others are working well,swap the troubled cam with one of the good ones.

See if the problem follows the camera...if it does contact Netgear via support as it may have a problem

indytech
Aspirant
Aspirant

I do have one additional camera, however I'm away from the house and don't plan to be back for over a month...So switching out cameras isn't an option...I appreciate the suggestions...any other thoughts, or things i can do remotely?

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

indytech wrote:

I do have one additional camera, however I'm away from the house and don't plan to be back for over a month...So switching out cameras isn't an option...I appreciate the suggestions...any other thoughts, or things i can do remotely?

Not really... the only thing available remotely with the Arlo cams is a remote restart of the base.  If the camera is truely low there's a chance it may not reconnect so I'd leave it alone.

Chukar1
Aspirant
Aspirant
Mine all went dead in the first two months (5 cameras) in a very warm sunny seattle summer, how long have they been in storage? They were on normal settings, I understood should go six months and are surprisingly expensive 😐
vwstu
Star
Star

I'm not sure what your normal settings actually are. There are many variables to set and that can effect the battery life. I have been going about 3-5 months on batteries. I use the Surefire brand. I have found they give the longest life so far. If you buy them on line you can get a good price.

How long your record time is and the motion percentage are the two adjustments that will effect the batteries the most. I hope I have been of some help.

Pet1700
Apprentice
Apprentice
Most importantly, make sure you have a quality router and stable Internet. Arlo is a cloud based system, and if your Internet connection has frequent drops, it will quickly deplete your batteries, as the cameras are trying to connect until a connection is made, and hence drain batteries doing so.

My recommendation is to invest is a quality router and rechargeable batteries. Yes, they won't last as long as OEM, but you could simply recharge them, and enjoy long recording times and never having to buy another set of batteries.

Just my 2c after owning this system with 3 wireless cameras, and one arlo q.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Also, use the Internet for pricing.  OEM-style batteries cost ~$1.50 each instead of the insane prices many folks find locally.

hychung
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes, I have a similar problem with one of my Arlo camera too.  Installed it about 1 week and most of the time it was turned off anyway.  Just turned on now and one of the camera (got 2 in the house) reported battery low (also received a email stating the same thing).  Had it turned off, took those batteries out from it and reinstalled, still the saying battery low.  The other camera, however, reported still 97% battery life left.  Thus, I don't know if it is battery problem or the camera?  I actually had both cameras and the base station off most of the time.  So I don't understand what happen.  Please help!

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Define "turned off". Powering off the base while leaving the batteries in place will leave the cameras constantly trying to contact the base, wearing out the batteries quickly.
hychung
Aspirant
Aspirant

Ah...understood.  I used the "Camera On/Offf" toggle switch in the camera Settings page in the App to toggle On and Off for the camera.  You meant even I had the Camera Off, it still tries to link with the Base?  Thanks

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

hychung wrote:

Ah...understood.  I used the "Camera On/Offf" toggle switch in the camera Settings page in the App to toggle On and Off for the camera.  You meant even I had the Camera Off, it still tries to link with the Base?  Thanks

Using the ON/OFF toggle in settings puts the camera into a sleep mode using very little power. The camera will retain it's sync with the base.

Turning OFF the base will drain the batteries as the cameras keep trying to connect back, so it's best to leave the base powered.

kenguyen3
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply. I forgot to say all 4 batteries are brand new, just 1 day old, yes! only 1 day old, indicator shows 99%

People say it could be batteries issue so that I replaced all 4 even the current indicator was 80%

Much appreciated.

Ke

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

This thread is 6 months old - did you inadvertently reply to wrong one?  Fill us in with details.

Hitch
Guide
Guide
Are u using the magnetic mount or a hardware mount ?
I have found that using the magnet mountil that the magnet is so strong, it pulls one of the 2 batteries next to the magnet down and gives a false battery reading.
If you are using the magnet, go take it down, open the case battery compartment and check to see if one battery is lower then the other 3, then pull it up or out, put it back in, shut it, turn it on and see if you battery level is back up, if it is, re mount it on the battery and see if it drops again,
I'm buying another hardware mount to get away from the magnet.
I have tried 2 of Mt 3 cameras on the magnet and it happened to both of them.
Hitch
Guide
Guide
Read my comment above on another post.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hitch,

I'm not sure what you are experiencing or what mount you are referring to, but the half ball mount included with Arlo Wire-free cameras is not magnetic. The magnet is in the camera, not the mount, and doesn't have any impact on the battery.

JamesC