Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Battery indicator

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
thomasstonum
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have purchased several of the battery operated Arlo cameras within the last month. In the last 3 days 3 of the cameras stopped functioning. I took out the batteries and reinserted them and restarted the cameras. All three cameras indicated battery levels in the yellow. Prior to shutting down the battery level indicator indicated fully charged batteries. Why is my system not accurately monitoring camera battery level? How can I fix this and why did my batteries only last a few weeks. One camera had high activity but the other two did not and one hardly activated at all.

Thanks,

Tom

3 REPLIES 3
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

thomasstonum,

There are several variables that can lead to battery drain. Normal usage is defined as 4 minutes of viewing or recording per day on the optimized setting to achieve a battery life of 4-6 months. More usage will reduce the expected battery life.

Battery drain can also occur if the camera is struggling to maintain a connection with the base station. If there is WiFi interference or poor signal strength due to range, this can cause the battery to drain. 

Take a  look at this article for tips on maximizing battery life: What is the battery life for NETGEAR Arlo wireless cameras and how can I extend their life?

JamesC

thomasstonum
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi JamesC,

Thanks for your reply. Good information. I will work with settings to maximize battery life.

One of my main concerns though is that the battery level indicators do not show any decrease in battery power and my first sign of a low batter is the camera stops functioning.

Do you know of anything I can do for that.

Thanks,

Tom

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

thomasstonum,

Do you see this same behavior on multiple devices (web client, mobile app). What device are you using?

In addition to battery level in the UI, you should receive an email alert when battery levels drop to 15%. The LED on the camera will also slowly flash amber to indicate low batteries.

JamesC