Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 12 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 9 In Conversation
amarjit12
Follower
Follower

Installed my camera on thurday last week and the battery has already died twice. Got the cameras from best buy. Box says that it lasts up to 4-6 months. Does anyone have any tips on how to prevent this? Thanks

12 REPLIES 12
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

amarjit12,

It sounds like your cameras are constantly detecting motion. The spec defines normal camera usage as about 4 minutes per day on the optimized setting to achieve a 4-6 month battery life. Take a look at the following article for more information: What is the battery life for NETGEAR Arlo wireless cameras and how can I extend their life?

Regards,

JamesC

Nick56
Aspirant
Aspirant

I waswondering if anyone knows. If I switch of the base station, would the camera still detect movement? Just that when I am at home, if I turn it off would that save the batteries?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The camera is likely still working but whether it does anything while the base is off is questionable.  A quick and inconclusive test would be to put the camera in a dark place, turn off the base and try to get the camera to detect motion while watching the IR illuminators.  If they come on, something is still working.  If not, it would seem to be sleeping due to lack of communication with the base.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Nick56 wrote:

I waswondering if anyone knows. If I switch of the base station, would the camera still detect movement? Just that when I am at home, if I turn it off would that save the batteries?

Actually... I think ( some heavy thought here 🙂 ) that if you turn off the base you will USE MORE BATTERY , not save.

I know with the older Vuezones (and believe  the same with Arlo ) that the cameras will try and 'ping' the base more if contact is lost.  More reaching out to the base takes more juice not less. 

There's no advantage to turning off the base as the cameras go into 'sleep' mode anyway and use almost nill. My 2 lightly used cams went 7 months before battery replacement.

As to the camera detecting motion .. its a mute point. even if the cam motion detect functions ( don't think it does ) there's no place for it to send the video to as the base is off. Just turn ALL MOTION OFF and don't worry.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
yulichew
Aspirant
Aspirant

I installed 3 cameras at the same time. One of the battery died just after 7 days on default settings. The message indicates that the camera is to far from the base station. It is just about 20 feet away separated by a glass slider door!

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Any chance the glass has a metalized film on it or that it's blocked by the frame if it's not line of sight.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

I found mirrors are good wifi blockers at times.. so might glass blocking certain ranges of light

Or the camera may just be defective.... swap one of the good cameras to there and see if the problem follows.

If the cam is bad, contact Netgear for replacement.

Morse is faster than texting!
certainllc
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have only had my cameras for 2 weeks and one of the batteries are completely dead. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Battery life generally depends on the amount of recording and live viewing as well as signal strength. Spec use for these cameras is about 4 minutes per day to get 4-6 months out of them. Camera position can have a big effect on signal strength so TRG to get the strongest signal.

ja121022
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have two wireless cameras and almost every 10 to 12 days I have to replace batteries. These batteries are not cheap either. The add about 4 to 6 month battery life in a total mispresentation.
ja121022
Aspirant
Aspirant
 I have two wireless cameras and almost every 10 to 12 days I have to replace batteries. These batteries are not cheap either. The add about 4 to 6 month battery life in a total mispresentation.
Schorschi
Prodigy
Prodigy

How many videos are you recording in those 12 days? What is their combined recording length in total?