Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
oldkid
Apprentice
Apprentice

I just installed a brand new set of Sure Fire batteries on 1.24.18 and I have the camera set to record motion while I'm at work. It's set to record a mere 15 seconds and it faces my front porch. It goes off rarely, like if I get a package delivered, since replacing the camera with brand new batteries it has recorded approximately 12 times, it's been 3 weeks and I just got a notifcation that my camera is "tired", really? This is not an isolated incident, I have a bag of batteries from the past two years of owning this 5 camera system and it just kills batteries. 

I only use it while at work to detect motion from 8AM to 5PM, and it rarely records which is a good thing, however, I am constantly getting notications that my batteries have 7% life left. What irks me even more is that it goes from 3/4 life to dead, there is no in between warnings or watching the batteries die greadually. All the cameras have the same problem when it comes to showing battery life, the meter says half full or more then it's dead. 

This first genteration system is junk, I regret buying it and it stops me from buying any new systems made by Netgear. I have the Nest system too and I hate the cloud service. I just brought a shopping full of battieries to Best Buy to recycle, but I'm sick of buying batteries so I guess I might be able to sell this antiquated system on Ebay for $20. 

7 REPLIES 7
steve_t
Master Master
Master

While the Arlo Pro is superior in every way including the built in rechargeable battery, your system should go longer between battery replacement/recharges.

Is there any chance you're buying cheap, fake batteries? Do you buy them from eBay? The Tenergy rechargeable batteries as recommended by Netgear will save you a bundle in the long run if you change your mind and decide to keep the cameras. For $20, I'd be pretty tempted! I'm sure you'd have no trouble selling.

I wonder if rather than the batteries suddenly going dead, what's happening is the camera is dropping offline due to interference and then the batteries drain due to constantly trying to reconnect. 

Anyway, my Arlo HD cameras that that have little traffic when armed do last 6+ months between battery charges (I'm using rechargeable RCR123A because I was sick of buying CR123A as well) so what you're experiencing isn't normal

oldkid
Apprentice
Apprentice

I'm not using inferior or cheap batteries, I buy them all on Amazon and have tried almost every brand they carry, some of which state "THESE ARE NOT FOR ARLO CAMERAS"...I stay away from. I'm not talking about the Arlo Pro camera which has it's own issues as I've read on the forums. And, even though the new rechargable cameras are better, eventually the batteries in those will die as well, gradually. I have had the Arlo system for two years and there's no way you can get 6 months of life regardless of brand unless the cameras are off or never go off, maybe...but even though I doubt it. I would have to set the camera to the lowest video quality and set to record 5 seconds, and if I were to do that what's the use of having a camera? 

Let me ask you this...if yours lasts 6 months what are your settings and how often do they record? Also, what are the best batteries I can use? While I'm experiencing isn't normal, if I do a search on the community boards there is an endless list of similiar stories of battery drain. This problem is not normal for you, but it is for a lot of us and I know it's not interference or cheap batteries. When the battery meter on my interface shows 50-75% of life, then the next day goes to 7%...Can you explain that?

brh
Master
Master

@oldkid

I had a problem with my original Wireless HD cameras in that the batteries in the camera on my back porch which was fairly dark would only last about a month. Even when the camera was off, every time I would walk by it the red IR leds would light up. Later, I think a firmware update solved that and I started getting about 3 months of battery life. When I bought my Arlo Pros I mounted them outside and connected them to a solar panel and the outside problem was fixed. I brought the original cameras inside where there is more light and I only arm them when I leave the house and now I am getting 7 to 8 months life out of one set of batteries. I use only Duracell batteries that I buy from reputable dealers as so many batteries on Amazon are fake. You can buy them in, (12 or 20 packs I forget which), where the cost of each battery is only a couple of dollars. The last pack I purchased at Walmart has lasted me about 6 months in each camera so far. My Pro cameras have worked perfectly for the past year and now that the originals are inside, they too are working perfectly.

Brian

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

First thing to try is to swap cameras around to see if it's the camera or location that's the issue.

steve_t
Master Master
Master

I was using Energizer Lithiums but they have crept up to $16 each here and I'm not prepared to pay $64 per set of batteries. I changed to Panasonic ones that don't last quite as long but were about half the price -  Value-wise, a lot better. I ended up changing to rechargeables and so ongoing costs isn't a major factor any more though the time between charges is less. The Arlo HD cameras I have have been relegated to extremely low activity areas as I have put Arlo Pro and Arlo Pro 2 cameras in the more critical areas. With this, these cameras are armed 24/7 but record maybe 90 seconds worth of video per day (usually when a cat walks by around 3am). Obviously this low usage is not the normal usage and Netgear have suggested the cameras might last 6 months if they are triggered or live viewed no more than 5 minutes per day total. I only use Best Video for video quality as I'd rather recharge the batteries more often than have grainy footage where I can't make out faces or details.
Yep, if your camera shows 50% one day and 7% the next day without having had a lot of recording or live viewing, there's something wrong. If power cycling the base and camera doesn't sort it and then removing and resyncing the camera doesn't sort it and changing the location of the camera doesn't change anything, you'll need to contact support and open a support ticket.

oldkid
Apprentice
Apprentice

I hear you steve_t , but I have had it with these systems, the charging, the lag and loss of video footage, the cost of batteries. One day, some day...there will be a company that actually figures out a way to engineer and design a system worth buying and keeping for many years. While I'm sure the Arlo Pro 2 is far superior than my original Arlo, I am fairly confident in saying that spending more money on a system that will be antiquated in two years is not what I'm going to do. 

So far the Nest system is the best even though it's a wired camera, the problem with their set up is the monthly service fee for cloud recording, that's a rip off, so I just shut the cameras down and plan on selling htem. 

I'll keep using the Arlo cameras I have in places where nobody goes, I'll put one in the garage for the day triggers, one in the attic in case I get rodents, and hide some in the back yard in case the winds blows I can capture some leaves blowing in the wind. 

steve_t
Master Master
Master

Fair enough.

You're always going to be better off with wired cameras, especially if you don't want to have to do any maintenance like battery changes but obviously installation comes at a cost (be it your time or someone else's). The ease of installation of wirefree cameras comes with the downside of batteries. Nothing you can do about that besides wait for wireless power at a distance to become a thing. 

I guess a bunch of POE cameras running into an NVR or ONVIF compliant NAS would be something you might be interested in.

Good luck with whatever solution you end up choosing