Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
Bstplumber
Aspirant
Aspirant
I would live to know what batteries people are using that are supposedly lasting for months. I have used the 3.7 High Drain batteries, and have even purchased the Tenergy rechargable batteries recommend by Arlo and have yet to get batteries to last longer than 7 - 9 DAYS. I have turned all the motion settings down to where the cameras are basically useless, I have the video quality turned down to best battery life (which equals teribble video quality) and nothing matters. These cameras do not exactly use cheap batteriers either. These cameras use 4 of the most expensive batteries on the market, top that with the overall purchase price of the system, and the fee to use the cloud storage and customer support and I might as well of went with a wired system, and a DVR.

So, unless someone can tell what I am doing wrong, or Arlo replaces these cameras with a better battery life, and/or a more affordable battery (AA, or AAA) then I am never recommending the system to anyone, and am about to return my system that is barely a month old. Very disappointed in these cameras due to poor, no not poor, ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE battery life.
9 REPLIES 9
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

First let me start off that battery life is very much based on Usage. These cameras to achieve the stated life are spec'ed as <5 mins per day of record or viewing ( same power usage ).. They are designed as motion -detect-record cameras; detects motion then records , not a 24/7 type recorder system.

The OEM cells for me typically last almost 4 months on best video in spec usage... Li-ion rechargeables last about 50-60 days in the same usage.

Some very low use cameras with OEM cells ( < 1-2 min week ) have run 10 months.

It has been observed that OEM cell last longer in spec usage,  while Li-ion will out record in a HIGH usage setup. ( time wise ).

So my questions are, How much recording/viewing time are you doing per day and is what way do you use the system.??

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
MarkC
Luminary
Luminary

@Bstplumber

You may want to move this post to the Arlo section. The new Arlo Pro cameras use different proprietary rechargeable batteries. You may get more replies in the correct Forum section. Smiley Happy

Just to add though I have never used rechargeable batteries (well I did twice, see below) in the original Arlo Cameras. I use Duracell batteries and replace them every 3 to 5 months, the cameras are all armed outside every night. It will obviously depend on how often they are triggered of course. With the cost of rechargeable ones compared to normal batteries (in the UK at least, £7 for a single rechargeable battery compared to £18 for 10 Duracell), there was no benefit cost wise to buy them especially as I knew something would be replacing them at some stage which it did with the Arlo Pro Cameras and Base.

I actually had some rechargeable batteries which I tried and they actually lasted me about 2 to 3 months in use but this did not warrant me to purchase more due to no real cost advantage.

My guess is that as you have dialled down all your settings then either the cameras are working extremely hard to keep contact with the base station due to distance or interference or that despite the fact that you purchased expensive batteries they may actually be fake. Where do you buy them from? Have you tried Duracell ones?

I ditched Arlo! As a Company they hold their Customers/Us in complete contempt! We beta test producs for them, the products only work properly for ~70% of the time at best!

If you are serious about your home or work security then look elsewhere! Get a ip Camera System with an NVR and some Blink XT cameras to cover the places you cannot run a cable to. You will NEVER regret moving away from Arlo!
Bstplumber
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have purchased Sure Fire, Duracell, and Energizer. The brand does not seem to be a factor. They all die within 7 days at the most 9 days. And, while I could see the distance thing being a possibility for one of the cameras, there are 2 within 20 feet of my base station.
Bstplumber
Aspirant
Aspirant
They are not recording 24/7. That is not even possible with this system. They are now barely recording at all due to I have had to turn down all the settings. I do leave the system armed 24 hours a day, which is what they should be able to do, otherwise they are useless. If they do not pick up motion, and record it while I am away at work, or on personal errands, and in bed at night then this system is absolutely a waste of money and way over priced. If I cannot have a system that can pick up motion and record when moition is detected within 30 feet of my camera than what is the point? I was not looking for a security camera system that recorded 24/7, but would have anticipated more than 5 minutes per day. That is pathetic to say the least.
MarkC
Luminary
Luminary

There must be something effecting the battery drain on your system as I have not seen many if any posts with such bad battery drain.

I have 6 cameras outside my property and all of them (gradually replacing with Arlo Pro cameras) are armed from 10pm until 6am every night.

There are also 4 cameras inside downstairs which are armed from 1am until 6am.

If everyone is away from the property then all 12 cameras (including the upstairs 2) are all armed until there is presence again.

On average I may have 4 to 8 triggers with 15 second recordings a day.

I replace the batteries between 3 and 6 months depending on the camera of course. One of the upstairs cameras has still got ~70% after 5 months but not used very often.

There is either some interference which is causing the cameras to use more juice to keep a stable connection to the base station or something else of course.

How many triggers/recordings are you getting on average? How long is the recording time set to?

Trust me this does not sound like normal behaviour if the settings are balanced, i.e. do not record for 10 minutes on each trigger, mine are all set to 15 seconds which is more than ample especially if you are alerted to the fact and can easily login to the app and live view. Also are you connecting to the cameras to live view often? If so avoid this, this will kill the batteries as well and is not what the Arlo was designed for really.

The main point of Arlo is to monitor areas when you are not there, having them all armed when you are moving about in front of the cameras all the time will kill the batteries but if you set-up the modes and schedules properly it will be fine with regards to battery life, that is of course as long an nothing else is causing the drain.

Is it possible for you to move the Base Staion to anoher room to see if that helps in case there is anything causing the cameras to push more power due to interference?

I ditched Arlo! As a Company they hold their Customers/Us in complete contempt! We beta test producs for them, the products only work properly for ~70% of the time at best!

If you are serious about your home or work security then look elsewhere! Get a ip Camera System with an NVR and some Blink XT cameras to cover the places you cannot run a cable to. You will NEVER regret moving away from Arlo!
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Bstplumber wrote:
They are not recording 24/7. That is not even possible with this system. They are now barely recording at all due to I have had to turn down all the settings. I do leave the system armed 24 hours a day, which is what they should be able to do, otherwise they are useless. If they do not pick up motion, and record it while I am away at work, or on personal errands, and in bed at night then this system is absolutely a waste of money and way over priced. If I cannot have a system that can pick up motion and record when moition is detected within 30 feet of my camera than what is the point? I was not looking for a security camera system that recorded 24/7, but would have anticipated more than 5 minutes per day. That is pathetic to say the least.

If it is as you say, then contact Netgear Support re the excessive battery drain...as mentioned it is not normal.

sthirsch
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am looking to add an Arlo Pro camera to my system of 4 regular Arlo cameras. First of all does the Pro take the same CR123 batteries that the regular does, if I do not want to go the rechargeable battery route?

Thanks

Steve

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
No. The Pro cameras come with proprietary rechargeable batteries. No chance of interchangeability.
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

sthirsch wrote:

I am looking to add an Arlo Pro camera to my system of 4 regular Arlo cameras. First of all does the Pro take the same CR123 batteries that the regular does, if I do not want to go the rechargeable battery route?

Thanks

Steve

Apples and oranges thing... The PRO only uses a rechargeable battery cube ( not compatable with Arlo )