Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
Pemuteran
Aspirant
Aspirant
Just installed 2 wireless Arlo cameras late last night. Set both to motion in separate rooms. I need motion 12/7 because I have Nurse care coming into the home throughout the day. One room caught less than one minute of video and is currently down to 69%. The other one caught more action those still not much and is at 49% currently. I have done probably a total of 30 seconds live video. It appears battery life is a big problem with this product so I will probably be taking it back
11 REPLIES 11
frankie1v
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello there,

I have currently around 12 Arlo camera's. I am changing batteries about every 3 months. I've never had a battery drain dramitically like that. I can say, its a pain changing batteries every 3 months. If i only needed 2 cameras i would buy the new arlo cameras that use rechargable batteries.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
How much live view is being used? That gets in there with recording time. Also, WiFi strength and 2.4GHz wireless interference, not necessarily WiFi, can also be an issue.
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Pemuteran wrote:
Just installed 2 wireless Arlo cameras late last night. Set both to motion in separate rooms. I need motion 12/7 because I have Nurse care coming into the home throughout the day. One room caught less than one minute of video and is currently down to 69%. The other one caught more action those still not much and is at 49% currently. I have done probably a total of 30 seconds live video. It appears battery life is a big problem with this product so I will probably be taking it back

You type of usage sounds like it would be better suited with a Q cam...Q cam is AC powered and also has a 24/7 record option ( paid) called CVR.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
Pemuteran
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thank you for this info. I was going to start looking into an A/C powered unit, but am unfamiliar with this technology. I like the sound of this Qcam/CVR!
Pemuteran
Aspirant
Aspirant
Sensei, I have done literally seconds worth of live viewing. Only enough to set up the camera angles where I want them. My Wi-Fi strength is good and my cameras are located not very far from the base unit. I'm not sure about interference though? How what I know about that?
Pemuteran
Aspirant
Aspirant
12 cameras! I actually thought I could use rechargeable batteries in the cameras I have but only after reading the literature inside the box did I find out I cannot with these. Don't think I want to go that route now anyway. 3 month change over I could deal with though. after these past 24 hours that sounds quite good!
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Interference is tough to discern since it can be any 2.4GHz device (cordless phones, etc.).  Blockage of the signal due to walls, mirrors, ductwork, etc. can cause WiFi strength issues - move your cameras temporarily to see if the batteries last longer.

Netgear is now selling Tenergy rechargeable batteries but many of us are using similar competing brands with good luck.  You want to stay away fromcheap eBay one that are above 800mAH since 1) they're not that powerful at all and 2) they lack the prtection circuitry found in the better batteries.  There's a huge thread here with suggested brands and chargers.

frankie1v
Aspirant
Aspirant

You can now use these rechargable batteries for the first generation of Arlo cameras. check out this link.

https://www.arlo.com/en-us/products/arlo/tenergy_rechargeable_battery_charger.aspx?cid=amb

frankie1v
Aspirant
Aspirant

this question is for jguerdat:

I know Arlo came out with Tenergy rechargable batteries. 

What rechargable batteries do you use? if any? 
not really to fond of rechargable batteries. I am currently using Panasonnic i bought on Amazon.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
I happen to use Eagletac rechargeable batteries in all of my non-Pro wireless cameras. I've had no problems with them.
Wudoc
Aspirant
Aspirant

Of the 20 Batteries that came with my Arlo Package - only 14 were decent. Suspect you might have had dead batteries to start.

I ended up buying a set of new batteries since ARLO/netgear customer support was not helpful.