Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Base station offline

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Art_Sez
Aspirant
Aspirant

Our base station always goes offline even though the cameras are charged and there are no internet issues. One of the most problematic security systems I’ve ever seen. Why do these cameras always go offline?

8 REPLIES 8
Streak2
Master Master
Master

What lights are showing on your base? Should be 3 green lights always on with the internet one flashing green from time to time.

How far are the cameras from the base and what are the reported signal levels?

Have you tried removing the device and then re-pairing it to the base?

Art_Sez
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you. Only the first 2 green lights are on. The third one toward the middle is not lit (I know which light you're referring to). The cameras are at various distances from the base. The closest one is about 10 feet away, while the furthest one is about 25-30 feet. When they're working, they work without any issues since I have them connected to a fiber connection. The issue is that they just go offline like this from time to time (very frequently). Batteries are charges. No internet issues. Ultra frustrating.

Streak2
Master Master
Master

There are 3 lights on the base.

You said "Only the first 2 green lights are on. The third one toward the middle is not lit".

The first one is power, the second shows internet connectivity and the third shows that camera are sync'd.

https://kb.arlo.com/000039100/What-do-the-LEDs-on-my-Arlo-SmartHub-or-base-station-mean

Your base is connected to your internet router and the cameras set up their own wifi connection to the base.

Sometimes there could be interference preventing the cameras talking to the base.

Try and move the base, even just a few feet in any direction. If it's connected to the router using a short cable then try and use a longer one to get some separation between the two.

Art_Sez
Aspirant
Aspirant

I will try to move it. It's in our IT room where there is a ton of tech stuff. The part which is confusing is how it seems to work perfectly and then suddenly stop working completely.

Streak2
Master Master
Master

When it stops working does it then come back on it's own?

Could be some device in the IT room that comes on periodically causing this issue.

Maybe there is another Ethernet port away from the IT room into which you can plug the base?

Art_Sez
Aspirant
Aspirant

@Streak2 It does come back. Sometimes it takes weeks. I don't know which device is causing issues. I have even tried plugging it directly into the the fiber modem so I bypass a router. I think there is a diff between a modem and router.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Please contact the Support Team to further investigate this issue. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link. Arlo Tech Support

JO1965
Aspirant
Aspirant

I had the same thing happen when Mediacom upgraded my modem/router.  After about two months I finally figured out the base station sitting right next to the modem is a bad idea it causes "WIFI Congestion"  I got a longer ethernet cable and moved my base station about 15-20 feet away from the modem/router and now all cameras stay connected.  Very frustrating, I hope this helps