Base Unit Bricking My Xfinity Routers

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Blackhawks13
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have Xfinity Internet and Wireless router. Have had no problems with it for the past year. Bought the Arlo Wire Free System from Costco, yesterday. Followed instructions, plugged into the router and no connection. I power cycled, restarted and still nothing. So I unplugged from router. And now the router won't connect to the Xfinity network. Called Xfinity, told me to replace the router. Drove there today, got a new router - connected no problem and Wifi worked. So I connected my Arlo base. It worked, synced the cameras and good to go. 2 hours later, boom, it was fried. Now, I cannot get the router to connect to the Internet again. 

It seems the base station is changing a setting on the Xfinity router and I cannot figure it out. It bricks the router. 

Any ideas or thoughts are appreciated. Hopeless in Chicago. 

Thanks. 

4 REPLIES 4
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The only way it could possibly damage the router would be to send excessive power through the Ethernet cable which would likely just fry the port, not the whole router.  I'd try a reset on the router just to see what happens.  Returning the system and swapping for another would be a useful step, too.

Blackhawks13
Aspirant
Aspirant

thanks for the idea. I will try to swap out at Costco, but the damn packaging they use at Costco requires you to tear it apart to get the unit out. I am tired of the Xfinity router anyway, so I picked up a Netgear AC1900 today and we will see if that works - I figured I would stay on brand and if that helps, I will let you know. 

Ti
Aspirant
Aspirant
Did the Netgear router work? I have the same problem.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Give us details. What are the LEDs on the base showing? What have you tried?